We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: I'm new
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 am 

Hello everyone! I'm new and I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Liz and I'm 51. I'm in recovery and taking Buprenorphine to help with cravings. I'm a former pain medicine patient with lower back spinal stenosis, but I've had addiction to opiate pain medicine most of my life. Would like to be on methodone maintainence, but local area program too intimidating I've found. I live in South Jersey. :)

Post subject: Re: I'm new
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:16 pm 
Administrator

I'm glad that buprenorphine is helping you! It's a great medication that helps lots of folks. I hate to hear that the local methadone program is too intimidating... have you visited it before or talked to a counselor? Sometimes methadone programs aren't as intimidating as they may appear or as people say they are. :-) I promise you'd feel like you were just in any other doctor's office at my program!

WELCOME to the forums, and I'm glad you're here with us!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:53 am 

Thank you Zack! I wish I could go to you're treatment center, I know I'd be comfortable there :) Well, my first experience with a methadone clinic was unfortunate due to a counselor from the detox facility who was in charge of setting me up for an aftercare program in my local area. I requested the methadone clinic in Cape May County, NJ, and when I called upon arriving home, I discovered that my counselor never made an appointment for me for the following day and I only had 1 day worth of medication to hold me till I could be seen. I was very afraid of withdraw and I explained to the person who answered the phone that I desperatly needed an appointment for the following day and I was afraid of relapse. They sent me to a clinic in Somers Point, NJ where I would be seen the following day. Since I don't drive, I called "Access Link" (which is a special program for disabled individuals transportation needs),and set up my ride. When I arrived at the clinic the next day, I was turned away because, my counselor at the detox facility said I was abusing benzodiazopines. This wasn't true of course, and I asked her if I could be tested by them to check my system and prove I was drug-free but they wouldn't do it. I was very shocked and upset and most of all, confused as to WHY my counselor would say what she did. Before I entered detox I was abusing my pain medication and I was also prescribed Xanax for my anxiety disorder. I never abused this medication but I agreed with the facility to stop taking it because of how dangerous it is taken with methodone or subutex. I really don't even miss it. I'm not sure why my counselor said what she did. I do know that when I saw her in detox she was very negative when I told her I wanted to go to the methodone clinic for my aftercare. Sorry for this long story, and I know it sounds crazy, but this happened. I was such a mess when this happened I really wished I were dead, though I would never kill myself, that's how much pain (emotional) I was in when I was turned away. I really felt very alone with no support anywhere. I'm glad that things worked out, because I'm seeing a doctor and am on subutex, I really wish things worked out differently with the clinic because for me, subutex isn't working very well. I have been thinking about trying again at the clinic, but I'm too nervous to try. I don't understand the stigma there is with methodone when there is proof that it helps so many people. Anyway, thanks for reading this and for welcoming me to this terrific group. I met Saffire too and she was very helpful getting me logged in to the forum (I was mistakenly labeled as "spam" :) she is great! Well I hope you and everyone here has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. God bless! Liz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 am 
Administrator

I agree with Zac. At first glance, some MMT programs/clinics can seem intimidating, but really they're mostly pretty good. As you're in Jersey, I imagine there's a good choice, so you could make appointments at a couple of places, to see which one you find suits your needs best.

It sounds like the bad experiences you've had thus far are more related to one person's problem causing, and hopefully at a different center, you wouldn't have all the history with that person, and the clinic wouldn't have any false information about you.

If Subutex isn't working very well, I certainly think you should give MMT a try, if you're having problems with cravings etc, methadone might suit you better. As Subutex has a ceiling dosing range, it's not always effective for everyone.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:02 pm 

Hi Liz, welcome to the site. I have been here off and on for 5 years and Im glad its back up and running.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm 
Administrator

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, Liz!! :-) So glad you've found WSM&B! I've been away and not as present recently as I like to be, but I'm going to try dang hard to come around more often. Post often - this is a wonderful online community because of the members like YOU. :-)

#MethadoneSavesLives #BuprenorphineSavesLives #MedicationAssistedTreatmentISRecovery

8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 pm 
Administrator

whoopsie... see what I get for not being around in a while... i just saw i had already welcomed you once! Ha.

Keep coming back!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:43 am 
Administrator

Liz, did you do anything like try a visit to one of the clinics? Some of them can be a little more rambunctious than others, and some can be pretty quite. The important thing to remember is that they're all filled with people like 'us', so there's really nothing to be scared of, most people are probably just as anxious as you!

Keep us updated as to what's going in with you love! :)

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:17 am 

Hello Liz.
I know your getting great advise! Zac and everyone else here are extremely informative. I have been blessed to have taken some of their advise and to have implemented it. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:40 am 

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply. My doctor raised my dose of bupe to 24mg. so I'm doing good so far. Thanks for writing :) Liz