We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: New ASAM Report JUST release - Addiction meds often denied
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:50 pm 
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) just released a (long awaited) report this past week on the issue of Addiction Medications (particularly methadone and buprenorphine/Suboxone, but also Naltrexone/Vivitrol) being routinely denied. The report is PAGES long, but this is a decent article that does a good job covering the main points (and has some damn good quotes from the ASAM President and a Dr. that was formerly with the White House ONDCP)....

I'm copy/pasting the article here, and this is the original link/source: http://americannewsreport.com/nationalpainreport/addiction-treatment-drugs-often-denied-8820558.html

Addiction Treatment Drugs Often Denied

June 21st, 2013 by Richard Lenti

Access to medications designed to treat opioid addiction is being routinely denied because of a myriad of restrictions by state Medicaid plans and insurance companies, according to a new report by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM).

The ASAM says an easing of bureaucratic red tape could help reverse an epidemic of opioid addiction and overdoses that claim 15,000 lives each year. An estimated 4 million Americans are addicted to prescription or illegal opioids.

“These reports show that we could be saving lives and effectively treating the disease of addiction if state governments and insurance companies remove roadblocks to the use of these medications,” said Stuart Gitlow, MD, President of ASAM.

“Treatment professionals need every evidence-based tool available to end suffering from this chronic disease. State lawmakers and insurance company administrators would never deny needed medication to people suffering from other chronic diseases, like diabetes and hypertension. But it happens every day to people with addiction.”

Suboxone tablets.
The report examined 642 studies that evaluated buprenorphine, methadone and naltrexone, the three primary medications approved by the FDA for treating opioid addiction. Buprenorphine is more widely known under the brand name Suboxone, which is produced by Reckitt Benckiser, one of several drug companies that funded the ASAM report.

The report found that the use of addiction medications shows substantial evidence of their effectiveness in reducing the frequency of drug use, as well as withdrawal symptoms, drug craving and overdoses. Researchers say use of the drugs also reduces the spread of infectious diseases and criminal behavior, and improves social functioning.

Despite their effectiveness, restrictions on use of the drugs vary widely from state to state. Coverage limits for lifetime benefits and daily dosages are common, creating what the authors describe as a “de facto denial of access.”

Restrictive prior authorizations add another level of obstacles, with many states and insurance companies requiring that other addiction treatment plans “fail first” before addiction medications are covered.

“The fact that patients are frequently denied access to the full spectrum of treatment options for addiction is unethical and would constitute malpractice in other medical specialties and chronic disease treatment,” said Thomas McLellan, a report author who is CEO of the Treatment Research Institute and former Deputy Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

“Treatment of addiction must be raised to the same medical and ethical standards as treatment for other chronic diseases. This needs to be acknowledged by the treatment community, medical specialties, insurance companies and all levels of government.”

The report noted that in one southern state only one methadone treatment clinic was eligible for Medicaid reimbursement.

A report earlier this year found that abuse of buprenorphine (Suboxone), is sending ten times as many people to hospital emergency rooms as it did a few years ago. Over half of the hospitalizations were for non-medical use with some taking the drug to get high.

While naltrexone helps patients overcome opioid addiction by blocking the drugs’ euphoric effects, it is considered generally safe and non-addictive. Methadone is a synthetic opioid that can stabilize a patient by mitigating withdrawal symptoms, but is also addictive and often abused.

Nonetheless, researchers say despite the potential danger, the medications raise addiction treatment success rates.

“Medical science supports the use of addiction medications to effectively treat the disease of addiction. This science must be the basis of state policies, insurance coverage and national standards for the treatment of addiction,” said Dr. Gitlow.

“Restrictions by states and insurance companies make no sense when opioid addiction and overdose deaths have grown into a national epidemic.”

Post subject: Re: New ASAM Report JUST release - Addiction meds often deni
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:42 am 

Thanks for posting this Zac...:) We can never have too much current info to pass along when we educate or do In-Services. I know you are looking forward to your Advocate Training that you have coming up...Sending good thoughts to the TN Chapter of NAMA-Recovery. It kicks Butt!!!! :P :P :P

Rokki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 pm 
Thanks Prez!! :-) I'm just glad NAMA is in the action in TN... FINALLY! Golly has it been needed - and it's exciting we've got several folks wanting to do the state training... Maybe that will equal more at the national training at AATOD in Novemeber too!!!

:-)
xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm 

It would be better then Anything AEGIS can bring to the table. Their own patients call ME cuz they never can get a hold of Mr Day,ever? I can't get a hold of him either so I can only imagine how patients must feel when they look for something they are told they have only to find out they should of called NAMA-Recovery in the 1st place.

Rokki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:37 am 
I think it's pretty bold of AEGIS to be doing a presentation at AATOD on the "Far Reaching Impacts of Patient Advisory and Advocacy Groups" and to act like they are the leading OTP's in terms of supporting & encouraging patient advocacy when you can't even get in touch with their "advocate." I had even emailed him back before the first PAG at my program just for tips, etc. (this before I realized it was more for show than for real action in advocacy) and NEVER heard anything back.... Then I find out they don't even respond to their own patients?!?!! And their own patients have to contact YOU anyway. So what just exactly is the POINT of their PAG? And I'm interested to see what all they have to "present" at AATOD... You'll have to join me for that one, Rokki, so we can ask some questions! ;-) LOL!

Love ya Rok.
zt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:59 am 

It's a Date Zac...;) I think it should be quite comical to say the least. Yeah,he was the Senate Hearing,but we were ALL at the Senate Hearing,Dr Jason Kletter and his Brother,a LOT of Patients showed up to speak so it was about just Steven and Aegis. Oh Yeah..Steven got an award....LOLOL For what I don't know,must of been an inside thang...LOL

So Good to see you hear my dear. I send lotta Love and Prayers in your Direction each and everyday so you will get better. I Know You and you will push...Please heal my friend and don't push..PLEASE..You need to 100% so we can take on "The City of Brotherly Love"....YARIGHT!

Much Love my Friend

Rokki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:14 am 
The Conference is approaching us and getting EVER closer @Prez!!! We're still having our date to help "lead" a Q&A for the AEGIS PAAG folks at the end of the "Far Reaching Impacts of Patient Advisory and Advocacy Groups" session, right?! ;) 8-)

I'm REALLY curious as to just what this session will entail - and one question I already have is how are patients from other programs supposed to get in touch with them for ideas and/or guidance (if they are setting themselves up as an example and model) if there are absolutely NO responses to the contact information/email addresses listed on the AEGIS PAAG's website??! I am not JUST being a smart ass here (though I am a little because I think that's crappy), but I am actually TRULY curious as to what the answer to that question is! I suppose we'll seeeeeeeeee........

8-) 8-) 8-)