We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: THS Clinic witholding my dose
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:02 am 

My MAT clinic (aka: THS) Therapeutic Health Services in Shoreline, WA has really done it this time! After I was hospitalized for accidentally over-dosing on Promethazine, Methadone and Clonazepam, I was treated unfairly by my clinic. Let me explain. I was discharged after 2 days from a local hospital, where they treated me for my overdose. While in the hospital I was given my normal daily doses of Methadone and Clonazepam. Upon being discharged on Saturday, Labor Day weekend, I went to my clinic to resume dosing. When I stepped up to the dosing window, the nurse advised me that my clinic would not be giving me my two take-home doses for the Labor Day weekend. Sunday and Monday doses. I was livid, and protested when they told me the reason for not giving me Take-Home doses was that I overdosed, and it was danger to me to have my take-home doses. They felt I would hurt myself again. My question is, should I grieve this kind of treatment? I am thinking of going to a different local methadone program.

Post subject: Re: THS Clinic witholding my dose
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:42 am 
Administrator

Well, I can sort of see where they're coming from, in that they want to make sure that you're safe with your TH doses. But, it can do more harm than good withholding people's TH doses as if they go into WD it can be a huge relapse trigger.

I would speak to your counselor and the clinic director when you go back after the weekend, and talk the situation through. Explain that not having any meds for the weekend was uncomfortable, and caused WD, and they should hopefully understand this could have been a trigger for you.

How did you manage to accidentally OD? Did you take the wrong amount of meds or something by mistake? Are you feeling OK now?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:37 am 

Dear sapphire: I keep my prescriptions in one place at home, and accidently took a phenegrin instead of my usual clonopin tablet. So instead of 1 phenegrin and one clonopin. I took 2 phenegrin with my methadone dose. It was to much for me to handle and I went unconscious while out walking my dog. I was found by my neighbor and 911 was called. I am Ok now after being treated at the hospital. Thank you for asking. And yeas i WILL contact my clinic counselor and the doctor there too. I want them to know it was a trigger for me to be in WD over the weekend. I was able to get a hold of some methadone and it helped me get over this two days without my dose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:19 am 
Administrator

Going about dealing with what happened by withholding your meds is not really a good idea, and they need to be aware of that. Of course they need to know you're safe with your TH meds, but withholding them so that you're totally without methadone is just not the best way to deal with the situation.

I hope that when you do speak to your counselor etc at the clinic that they're able to sort something out which means that you're not left without meds again.

I'm glad that you're OK though!! What is phenegrin prescribed for? They must be pretty strong if taking one extra tablet made you unconscious. Are you going to carry on taking them, or is there something else that does the same thing that's maybe not as sedating?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:37 pm 

Dear Saphire,
Phenegrin is for nausea. They enhance opiates and other drugs.
Thank you for concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:50 am 
Administrator

How are things going now? Are you any closer to getting your TH doses restored to you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:35 pm 
Administrator

This seems a bit punitive. If they were going to be CLOSED and you didn't have the choice to come to the clinic, withholding TH's completely is questionable at best. I hate to pass judgment without knowing exact details and such, but at the very least they should have guest medicated you at a program that was open or a nurse should have come in to meet you and medicate you. This sounds like an accreditation issue. How are things going now? Have you gotten your TH's back?

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 pm 

tndirector wrote:
This seems a bit punitive. If they were going to be CLOSED and you didn't have the choice to come to the clinic, withholding TH's completely is questionable at best. I hate to pass judgment without knowing exact details and such, but at the very least they should have guest medicated you at a program that was open or a nurse should have come in to meet you and medicate you. This sounds like an accreditation issue. How are things going now? Have you gotten your TH's back?

To update my situation. I am finished with my jail time. I was releases and allowed to continue dosing at the CRC clinic in Bothell, WA. The director at this clinic was fired. Why, I do not know, but rumor is he was taking money from the till at this clinic. When I complained to the corporate office about having to pay the monthly clinic fees as well as the $30/day fee being billed to me for jail dosing. I was called to my clinic director and he told me I was getting a small refund by anonymous donor. He then handed me cash and said I should write anonymous thank you note to the donor. I did and gave it to him. Within a few months he was fired. I am currently on methadone, and have no plans to go to jail again. My husband has issues with prison in the future, but those we will deal with as they come.
Thank you for all your support.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:14 pm 

sapphire wrote:
How are things going now? Are you any closer to getting your TH doses restored to you?

To update my situation. I am finished with my jail time. I was releases and allowed to continue dosing at the CRC clinic in Bothell, WA. The director at this clinic was fired. Why, I do not know, but rumor is he was taking money from the till at this clinic. When I complained to the corporate office about having to pay the monthly clinic fees as well as the $30/day fee being billed to me for jail dosing. I was called to my clinic director and he told me I was getting a small refund by anonymous donor. He then handed me cash and said I should write anonymous thank you note to the donor. I did and gave it to him. Within a few months he was fired. I am currently on methadone, and have no plans to go to jail again. My husband has issues with prison in the future, but those we will deal with as they come.
Thank you for all your support.