We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Want to detox
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:43 pm 

Hi everybody! I hve been on methadone maintenance for 16 years
I am 59 yrs old and I want to detox safely but as quickly as possible
I am on 120mgs a day. Has anyone safely detoxed off methadone by themself? I get takehomes so my plan is to drop down to 80 mg and then maybe 5 mg a week after that. Has anyone done this on their own añd if so what was it like ? Did u hve withdrawals? How fast did u go.down? At what dosage can I just stop the methadone and mayb just take something to help the withdrawals? I just can't afford this any longer and I'd rather be in charge of my detox and try to get myself off BEFOR I end up administravely get detoxd n 10 days and b deathly sick if I get til I can't pay ! Any advise?? Thank you all

Post subject: Re: Want to detox
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:06 am 
Administrator

It's not really advisable to come down quickly like that. It often causes a lot of problems for people.

Why are you wanting to come off so quickly? Doing a slow taper would be the best way to come off, with the least WD symptoms.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:07 am 

I guess I'm tired . it takes every dime to pay it and there are some personal reasons I can't get into . I know as long as I keep going I won't detox...idk if it fear of being off it or what but I've planned detox for past year and never go Thur with it. Maybe I'm the type of person I have to have no other choice but detox to mke myself do it. Idk... I don't want to suffer a lot of WD but I figure no matter how low I get I'll hve some. I just want to to it as quickly as I can without dying from WD....

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:33 am 
Administrator

The general rule is that if you coming off because you're tired of the clinic system, you're fed up with paying for it, you don't like the travelling etc, then those are not the right reasons for coming off and sooner or later will result in relapse.

If person is ready to come off, because they feel they are ready to be able to live abstinent of all opioids, that's a different matter. Even in that situation though, a slow taper, only dropping in slow increments is the way to go.

For people that jump off, the relapse rate is as high as about 98/99%, and even if someone does a proper taper it only drops to 90% that will relapse within the year, so this isn't anything to mess with.

If you're doing well in MMT, living a happy, productive life, what is the real need to come off it, when you know how high the relapse rates are. No matter how good your intentions are, or how strong you think you are, or that you have lots of willpower, substance use is a disease, and with the best will in the world and all the will power you can muster, you can't necessarily beat that.

Some people are better just accepting that they might need MMT for indefinite periods. I don't know if you're one of those, but if you do decide you're going to taper, make sure you've done the "readiness to taper" checklist.

This includes things like have you been stable and giving drug free UA's for a good number of years, do you have a good non drug using support system, do you have secure employment/housing/relationships etc, do you have any undiagnosed or untreated mental or physical health problems, do you have chronic pain and is it being treated effectively. There are quite a few other things they also ask, but you get the gist of it.

It's to help you think through your current state of being, so you can identify possible triggers before you start reducing. So they can be resolved before you're in a vulnerable place from the taper.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm 
Administrator

Best advice based on 50 years of research when it comes to methadone treatment.... SLOW AND STEADY. =)

You should not decrease any more than 10% of the total dose no more often than every 2-3 (best if it's 4) weeks. So if you're on 120mg then 10% would be 12mg. No more than that on the first decrease. I'd do 10mg if it were me. But then realize that as you go down 10% is less and less (10% of 100mg is 10mg but 10% of 50mg is 5mg)... For folks who decrease by no more than 10% of the total dose no more often than every 3 or 4 weeks, the success rate is much higher. Listen to your body. Don't rush it. Your LIFE and your QUALITY of life matter most!

Good luck! =)

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth