We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: UA problems- can't pee! HELP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:52 am 

Hello friends,

Iam a 26 year old female and Ive been on mmt for about 4 months now and recently I have been barraged with drug screens like crazy at my Clinic. Not sure if these screens are random computer algorithms and I just have an unlucky number or I am being picked on. I would say 4 times within 2 weeks I have been getting tested and for the past three days once each day. 1 test was a hair folicle, but the last two UAs have been difficult for me because I am having an issue with being able to pee on a short moments notice, especially at this clinic. I can be in the bathroom anywhere between 30 mins to an hour and 30 and still not pee! Luckily this morning I was able to squeeze something out after squatting on the floor of the bathroom. But, yesterday after trying for an hour and a half- doing jump and jacks, squats, you name it!

However, the clinic I visit is severely under staffed and the two women running the clinic told me that it was too close to closing time to be able to try and get a sample and they forced me into having got a refusal letter - basically stating that I refused to give them a urine sample.

Is this normal procedure at clinics? I don't think that giving me a refusal on my record was fair at all consodering the staff could have stayed a little later so I could produce a sample or send me to a local diagnostic clinic in order for me to produce a sample that same day!

I don't know what is wrong with me but I just don't feel like the staff at this clinic handled the situation correctly and should not have laughed at me for trying to piss so hard or was telling me while trying that if I could not get a drop out that they would slap me with the letter and I could be fired from the program.

What are y'alls thoughts? Any advice?

All input is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: UA problems- can't pee! HELP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:14 am 
Administrator

Hi, and welcome to WSM. Most clinics will mark down as a refusal to provide a sample, even if you literally cannot pee, unfortunately they do this as people try to get out of giving UA's by doing this because they've been using.

At some clinics, for people with shy bladders that cannot pee on command, they will let you do a swab instead, have you asked them about that? Some patients even offer a few $ towards the cost of the swab, as they are considerably more expensive than UA's, so that the clinic cannot use cost as an issue for refusing to let you do a swab instead of a urine screen.

As far as the frequency of UA's, it is sometimes randomly computer generated, but as you're newer to treatment I think they will want to UA new people more frequently, to make sure that everything's going OK. As you progress in treatment the UA's will get less frequent than they are right now.

I take it that you're doing all the right stuff like making sure you go to the clinic with a full bladder in case they want a UA? I know this can be a pain, but at least then you're prepared.

It's probably worth speaking to your counsellor and explaining that it's not that you won't, or don't want to give a sample, it's that sometimes you physically cannot, so then they know it's a real problem, and not just you being awkward. They might be more understanding after that.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: UA problems- can't pee! HELP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:39 pm 
Administrator

We have oral swabs for cases like this. Sometimes folks just can't go. We prefer urine testing because you can be more detailed with the tests, etc., but if someone can't urinate for some reason an oral swab is absolutely acceptable. Many clinics don't carry them because they cost a bit more as well.

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth