We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stigma on steroids in Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:27 am 

I have asked to see a Physician for care concerning getting mammograms and other such things beings I am now 50 years old. My husband made the appointment and the lady who was answering the phone for the Doctor told my husband that they would see him but not me, said it was their policy, policy aside I had been a patient before at this medical facility but needed further help concerning referrals for said mammograms, along with their so called policy, I was also informed the doctor didn't feel comfortable seeing me. WHAT???!!!! Are you serious I said....then out of anger I stated that maybe they would feel comfortable seeing my attorney. I let this office know that my pain management was under control, I didn't need them for that, thank you anyway. I was still in my opinion discriminated against. Twice this has happened to me and twice been REJECTED. The first time was employment. for the love of Pete people, the stigma is real and rising in the state of Indiana!

Post subject: Re: Stigma on steroids in Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:05 am 
Administrator

I can't understand why a physician would not want to treat someone, especially for something like a mammogram, simply because they are in pain management.

Have you thought about filing a complaint against the Dr? There is no way you should be refused access to something like a mammogram because of other treatment you're receiving.

As far as the employment thing goes, an employer cannot discriminate against you purely on the basis of a health condition, or a particular medication you're prescribed. Employee's, or potential ones, are protected under the ADA in that respect.

I'm a little confused what it has to do with stigma about steroids though?!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:40 am 

It really boggles my mind to think that in 2016 we still have the majority of people ignorant about methadone. As far as stigma and steroids go I was making a joke, as if the good people here in Indiana were leading the polls for ignorance over MMT. I have never been to a State that see's methadone in such an unfavorable light, which is rather silly considering that the Clinic where I go is the biggest one in the Nation, go figure. I could count on my hand how many people actually know REAL facts about methadone maintenance, after I give them a little insight they seem to have an entirely different view on the subject, or it could be that they still don't like it but can't argue against what makes sense. I don't care if people like my choice or not, I really really don't, I never have been someone who cared what people think about my life choices.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 am 
Administrator

You find that with a lot of people, that once you explain the reasons behind MAR, they understand why it's necessary and what the benefits of it can be. It's a shame, and annoying, that in the middle of this heroin epidemic, that the government are not taking the time to explain to people WHY MAR is needed, and that it's not "swapping one drug for another" and all of that other BS that places like NA often spout.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!