We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: How do I become a certified methadone advocate?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:38 pm 

I was checking NAMA's website and noticed that the details regarding the process to become a certified methadone advocate have to do with the conference that took place in March. Does anyone know how to register for the next upcoming training or if there even is a training thats coming up? Thanks in advance!

Stephanie :D

Post subject: Re: How do I become a certified methadone advocate?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 am 
Administrator

Stephanie

If you get in touch with one of the administrators on the NAMA board, they should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to become NAMA certified. People get certified all the time, so I don't think that having missed the conference in March would hamper you at all.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:17 pm 

sapphire wrote:
Stephanie

If you get in touch with one of the administrators on the NAMA board, they should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to become NAMA certified. People get certified all the time, so I don't think that having missed the conference in March would hamper you at all.

Hi Sapphire. I actually did email Walter Ginter, the contact person listed and he said that he's in India right now, then going to Vietnam and would contact me when he returns. So I'm just waiting for him to get back to me. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Stephanie ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 pm 
Administrator

The Certified Methadone Advocate (CMA) course is offered every 18 months in conjunction with the national AATOD Conference. The last one was in March in Atlanta. The next CMA course will be offered in conjunction with the next AATOD Conference to be held in Baltimore, MD in November of 2016. Closer to the date information will be posted on www.methadone.org. Keep in mind advocacy work is all volunteer work - there's no "paid positions" or whatever, and it can be expensive to get certified. Just want folks to know that going in --- but we desperately NEED more patients to commit to becoming certified and becoming responsible, informed advocates.

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:53 pm 

Thank you so much for the info zac! Its exactly what I was looking for. And Im aware that a CMA position is completely volunteer and that is absolutely ok with me. I just want to advocate for people on MMT and hopefully help them avoid some of the horrors that have happened to me throughout my years on MMT (like the one I'm dealing with now... ugggh)!

Thanks again!

Steph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:37 am 
Administrator

Steph

It's so great that you want to give something back to the MMT community. So many patients piss and moan about how bad they feel their treatment is, yet very few actually get up and do anything about it, so good for you girl!!! :)

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 pm 
Administrator

Amen! We soooo need more patients living in longterm recovery to step up and get involved in advocacy! Put Nov. 2016 in Baltimore on your calendar, Steph!! And you can certainly get involved before then. Remaining active here in this forum and reading through all the amazing info in the Resources and Links section as well as going to http://www.methadone.org and reading through all the sections and supplemental articles of the Methadone 101 resource is also a GREAT way to start preparing!!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:35 am 
Administrator

So many people complain about their clinics/treatment, so you'd think there'd be loads of patients that would be interested in getting certified.........

I wish that more would consider it!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 pm 

I'm getting certified.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:01 am 
Administrator

Hi I'm Good, and I'm really pleased to hear that you're getting certified! The more people that we have advocating effectively for people in MAR, the better!!