We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Any advise regarding last post?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 pm 

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any advise about how to proceed changing medication-assistance programs? I would like to switch to methadone from subutex. Thanks, Liz

Post subject: Re: Any advise regarding last post?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 am 
Administrator

Hi Liz

What I would do, is use something like the SAMHSA clinic locator, to find out exactly what clinics there are in your area, then give couple of them a call. Maybe the one that you get the best feeling from on the phone, make an appointment to go see them with a view to doing an induction.

Are you taking any other opioid based meds currently, or any benzodiazepines? If not, I can't see why you'd have any problems at all swapping from Subutex to MMT. If you're having problems with cravings etc, it could be that methadone will suit you better.

Why are you feeling like the Subutex isn't working?

Sorry for the delay in answering you, I have been literally bed bound with some horrible stomach bug/flu thing. I haven't been that ill for years!! So glad to be feeling better now. :)

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:34 am 

sapphire wrote:
Hi Liz

What I would do, is use something like the SAMHSA clinic locator, to find out exactly what clinics there are in your area, then give couple of them a call. Maybe the one that you get the best feeling from on the phone, make an appointment to go see them with a view to doing an induction.

Are you taking any other opioid based meds currently, or any benzodiazepines? If not, I can't see why you'd have any problems at all swapping from Subutex to MMT. If you're having problems with cravings etc, it could be that methadone will suit you better.

Why are you feeling like the Subutex isn't working?

Sorry for the delay in answering you, I have been literally bed bound with some horrible stomach bug/flu thing. I haven't been that ill for years!! So glad to be feeling better now. :)

Hi Sapphire, I hope you're feeling better! Thanks for posting. Yes, I've been thinking about going to the next closest clinic in my area, located in Tom's River. The reason I feel that sub isnt working well is because I still have cravings. The doctor has me on one and a half, 8mg. daily, I'm not sure how high I can go with this medication, but I was thinking of maybe asking him to increase it a bit, but I don't know if that will make any difference or not. I have taken more and didn't feel any difference. Can you tell me how a clinic would proceed with switching someone to methadone from subutex? The reason I ask is so I know what to expect, or if I call for an appointment would it be appropriate to ask this question of the counselor on the phone? Thanks again and stay well. Liz :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:45 pm 

Hi! I forgot to mention that I'm not taking any benzodiazopines or other opiates besides subutex :) Liz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:55 am 
Administrator

You could go higher with the Subutex, but due to the partial agonist action of the medication, it's not always better for cravings etc to go higher with it. The limit is 32mg, you can't go higher than that anyway.

If you've tried more, and haven't felt any difference, it might be worth giving MMT a go. Sounds like before you just had a bad experience because of that one woman, so hopefully going to a different clinic, where they will be viewing you with no prior history or baggage from that woman, it should all be fine. As you're not prescribed any other opioids or benzo's that will also make things easier, as some clinics have strange policies about meds like that!

Have you tried calling them up and seeing how quickly you'd be able to get in there?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 am 
Administrator

Sapphire gives good advice... The OTP Directory is the best way to find a clinic close to you. Just select your state from the drop down menu here: http://dpt2.samhsa.gov/treatment/directory.aspx.

It's easy to switch FROM buprenorphine TO methadone... It's more difficult to switch FROM methadone TO buprenorphine. Keep us posted... and keep coming back to the forum! 8-)

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:33 am 
Administrator

Thanks Zac! Liz, we haven't heard from you in a while, I hope you're doing OK?

Did you manage to switch to methadone? As Zac has said, you don't need to wait inbetween dosing from bupe the methadone, the way that you do from methadone to bupe. So you can literally dose the one day with Bupe, and then start the very next day on methadone, without any negative consequences from still having the Bupe in your system.

I really hope it all works out well for you, and come back and just check in so that we know you're OK!! :)