We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: I'm new
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:00 am 
Administrator

Glad to hear that things are going better Liz. Are you completely OK now at that dose? As in it's keeping you well for 24+ hours and dealing with cravings?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:21 am 

Yes, I think so, at least so far :) Thanks for asking!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:03 am 
Administrator

That's great, I'm pleased things are going well for you now! :)

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: Called clinic, another roadblock!
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:49 pm 

Hi! I have a question if anyone can help, please reply. I called my local methadone clinic and they said I can't be dosed until I am off of my current medication (subutex) for 5 days or I could go into severe withdraw. Is this true? Thanks Liz

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:25 am 
Administrator

Hi, no this is not true. When a person switches from METHADONE to SUBOXONE, then they have to wait 3 days, or until they're in full blown WD.

However, for someone switching from SUBOXONE to METHADONE there is no risk of getting precipitated WD's. A patient could dose with Suboxone on one day, and then start the clinic the next with no problems.

This is a common misconception, but it's only going from methadone to Suboxone that will cause things like precipitated WD's and make you poorly.

I think you need to speak to the clinic Dr about this, as what the receptionist is relaying to you over the telephone is not at all accurate. You wouldn't be sick, so please don't worry about it!

Have you heard of our sister group on Facebook? It's a closed group called Methadone Discussion, so that none of your FB friends, or anyone that's not in the group can see what you're posting at all. We have a stringent application policy and try to only admit people either in MMT or Suboxone, so there are going to be some members in the same situation as you, and I'm sure they would be able to reassure you that it's not going to make you sick!

The link is; https://www.facebook.com/groups/MethadoneTreatment/

If you click on the 'Join Group' button, then one of the admins will approve and activate your account for you! I hope to see you over there, it's a very friendly place and much busier than here. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:48 am 

Hi Sapphire, Thanks for writing back, I didn't think it was true, but I wanted to make sure because this was someone at a clinic (who told me this about subutex)that I called (finally) after waiting some time because the last time I contacted them (a year ago) (I wrote about it in an earlier post back in February) I had a difficult time. I am so frustrated because I really need to get on methadone and it seems some people are making this very difficult. This was a supervisor or someone important who can make decisions about who can be admitted into the clinic, and I believe the buck stops with her. So if I want to go to this clinic and it's the closest one to my house and I am disabled and can't drive, I would have to take myself off my medication (subutex 32mg.) and wait 5 days to be seen there. I wrote on this forum about this a couple of months ago, when I talked about being nervous about calling my local clinic because my medicine wasn't working well and I wanted to switch to methadone. I think the last time I wrote I had just been given an increase in the subs to 24mgs. and I thought that would do the trick. But unfortunately it didn't. Now I'm taking 32mg. and I still want to switch to methadone. I've also relapsed a couple of times since February, and this really convinces me that I need to switch medications. I wrote in the lounge a couple of days ago about this too. Thanks for telling me about the sister Facebook group, I'll check it out. But please, is there any help for this situation? Like could an advocate help me get into this clinic without having to go through a full withdraw episode? I'm worried that even if I do this and call them again to get an appointment, they will just come up with another reason why I can't be admitted. Please advise. or if you have any questions, ask. Thanks again! Liz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:40 am 
Administrator

Hi Liz

In your other post I pasted the link to the NAMA website, so you can contact the NAMA advocate in your area, and they would be able to liaise with your clinic for you, and explain that there's no reason for you to stop taking the Subutex before you started the methadone.

It's sad that people working in a clinic have it so wrong. Yes you can get sick switching from methadone to bupe, but not the other way around, and you would hope that clinic staff would know that.

NAMA should be able to put them straight though!!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:50 am 

Sapphire, Thank you! I'll give them a call. Liz

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:36 am 
Administrator

I definitely would, as there is no reason you need to be off Subutex/Suboxone for any period of time before starting methadone.

If it was the other way round, you would need to be off methadone for at least 72 hours before starting Subutex/Suboxone, but switching from Subutex/Suboxone to methadone requires no waiting time as precipitated WD's are not an issue in this case. They are only a worry when switching from methadone to Subutex/Suboxone.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 am 

Hi Sapphire, Well when I called the NJ chapter I found that the line had been disconnected. So I wrote 2 long email messeges to Claude Hopkins (NJ ) and one to Joyce(director, NY advocate). Here's hoping they call or write me back. Thanks again for reading and responding so quickly to my messege, I appreciate it more than I can say. Eliz. Gaughan :)