We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: *Questions in reference to carpooling*
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:56 pm 

Hello~ I am curious what goes into starting a "carpool".
Myself and 2 other patient's are interested in getting one together, do i just stuff 'em in my Volkswagon and take off?? Or do i have to do anything specific first? Knowing Tennessee's rules surrounding methadone, they have some about carpooling as well!!!
Any info is appreciated.
Bella

Let me clarify: Im only referring to the carpooling itself, not all the transferring paperwork that would be done prior.

Post subject: Re: *Questions in reference to carpooling*
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:17 am 
Administrator

I would think that it's just an informal arrangement between the people that are participating. You'd need to agree the 'rules' beforehand, like if someone's not on time you're not going to wait and be late yourself for them, and agree about gas money etc.

Carpooling can be difficult when you get people that start to not want to pay for gas, start being late so they make everyone else in the car late etc.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:09 am 

Sapphire i have heard of some horror stories surrounding carpooling to other treatment center!!! Myself, and the 3 other people wanting to carpool with me have all already agreed to deposit the agreed upon amount of gas money into an account via "pay-pal". It has to be in the account 72 hrs prior to our leaving, if it's not then i use my discretion as to what to do. The only BIG worry i have is kinda silly, its backseat rider's smoking in my car!! I want to allow that comfort, plus, if i didnt we would ne stopping every 40-50 miles for a smoke-break!! I just worry about my interior, and mainly cigg burns!!
The patients that are wanting to load up with me are long time patients. They know the ropes pertaining to methadone treatment, they each have at least 7 years of of clean UA's and properly working the program. Thats alot of the reason why i ran the "carpooling" idea past them. I feel confident that which ever Treatment Center we choose will be glad to have us. Anyone that has ever CARPOOLED before id love to hear from you on how you did it, how much you charged for gas? Etc.
As always, any info regarding this topic is appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Belladonna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:50 am 
Administrator

It's your car, so if you don't want people smoking in it, you need to tell them. They should respect that if they're decent people. If someone had said to me that they didn't want me smoking in their car, I wouldn't think it was an odd request at all, and I would certainly abide by it.

How long is the ride? Surely they can go that long without a smoke?!

At least you've got the money thing sorted, that's usually what causes most contention between people. That and people not being on time. Have you agreed that if they're not where they said they'd be at a certain time that you're going to leave anyway?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 pm 
Administrator

I know the clinic in Chattanooga (Volunteer Comprehensive Treatment Center) used to have a board (sort of like this one) online for patients to set up carpooling arrangements, etc. since so many folks drove so far to treatment. But since Behavioral Health Group (BHG) has acquired all but two of Tennessee's clinics, I don't think anything like that exists anymore. (BHG owns all BUT the clinic in Chattanooga, which is owned by Acadia/CRC, and the one in Savannah, which is an independent - and AWESOME - clinic).

But sapphire is correct in that there aren't any official state regs or rules surrounding this, so you can set it up by yourself. Unfortunately I doubt you'll get much help from the Nashville program. :-\

Good on you for trying to organize as patients!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:30 am 
Administrator

Wow, that's quite a monopoly they have in TN then. Small wonder so many people seek treatment out of state.