We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Thinking Of Discontinuing Methadone?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:44 am 
Administrator

If you're thinking of discontinuing methadone, or tapering, this document is a must read.

It goes through all the pro's and con's of taking methadone in the first place, and then the whys and wherefores of stopping, and what could happen if you stop when you're not truly ready.

There's also a little section about whether people are ready, so you can read that and decide if you fit the criteria or not.

There is no rush to ever come off MAR, and for some people, it's simply not a realistic goal due to the chemistry of their brain. So if people cannot taper off, they should never feel 'less than', as substance use is a brain disorder, it's not a lack of willpower, or it's not that you aren't 'trying enough' or there's something morally wrong with you. It's a disease.

http://atforum.com/documents/english/Di ... en_how.pdf

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: Thinking Of Discontinuing Methadone?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 pm 

Thank you for this valuable information regarding the discontinuing of methadone? This helped me in my personal decision to taper off. This message you left gives me great confidence in my decision.
:?