We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Clinic Line Etiquette
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:39 am 
Administrator

Ok, so I am having a problem at my clinic lately.

Whenever I go on my own, random guys seem to think it's OK to try and hit on me. I find this more disturbing than most other people might due to past issues in my life where I cannot have strange men close to me and invading my personal space.

I have tried politely asking them to back off, but that doesn't work, and then when I get more forceful they get all shirty and act like I'm the one who's in the wrong!

I'm starting to dread going to the clinic. We have no security guard, and all the staff are behind bullet proof glass. Besides that, 99% of the staff are women, so I'm not sure what they could realistically do if trouble broke out. The few men that do work there are less intimidating than the women, so they're of little use either!

It's got to the point where I either go there the second they open, hoping other people will not be there yet, or have to get Mr Sapphire to take time off work to come with me. Last time this happened though it caused trouble as he overheard some idiot guy talking about my boobs, and went ballistic!

On the odd occasion I have to take my stepdaughter there, I hate it even more, as because she knows the men frighten me, she gets scared too, and I don't want her exposed to that sort of atmosphere.

I don't know if I'm over reacting, or should I say something to the clinic? It's usually the same 4 or 5 guys that are doing this, and I don't think I am making them think I'm 'available' at all, yet I constantly hear them talking about what I am wearing, comments about my body etc etc. Comments like that I certainly do not want a 12 year old girl to be exposed to.

I'm also a little worried to tell Mr Sapphire the full extent of it, as I know that he will just want to go there and crack some heads. He wouldn't, if I asked him not to, but I know he'd want to!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: Clinic Line Etiquette
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:08 am 
Administrator

Geez. I would never allow such an environment in my clinic... and bullet proof glass? Really? Is this healthcare or prison?!! That doesn't sound like a very therapeutic atmosphere, and the clinic is getting the results of the atmosphere they are creating!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:54 am 
Administrator

LOL, it's actually more like a probation office type setting than anything medical! The place looks a dump the moment you set foot through the door.

I guess the bullet proof glass is because one time someone smashed the regular glass because their prescription wasn't ready, or they had stopped their script or something.

Some of the male patients that are more chaotic users can be pretty intimidating, and when most of the staff are female I can see why they would easily feel threatened!

However, a lot of these problems could be sorted out with better communication from staff to patients, so patients know that if they do/do not do XYZ, their script is likely to be suspended until they speak to the Dr. Like people who miss 3 days of pickups in a row, if they show up on day 4 they cannot get dosed without seeing a Dr, but plenty of them kick off about it and start a big scene.

Where my clinic is in the 2nd most deprived area in the whole of the UK, and as you know, because UK clinics seem to chronically under dose patients, many of them are potentiating their doses with alcohol and benzo's, and that can make them really unpredictable.

I can look after myself, but it's actually quite scary in there sometimes, once there was a small riot that had nothing to do with the actual clinic, it was just two patients going at it in the waiting room!

They used to have the service separated, so that the more chaotic patients, and patients new to treatment went on certain days, people who were being maintained and were stable went on the next days, and people that were tapering went on the last day.

It worked out pretty well like that, because as someone stable, you never bumped into people trying to sell pills/doses in the parking lot, and there weren't people talking about buying/selling drugs whilst you were waiting to be seen.

I think I'm going to speak to the manager to ask why it can't go back to the way it was, as from what I can gather, most patients thought it worked better.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:44 am 
Administrator

I've seen clinics like that here in the U.S. too... and it just blows my mind. Then those same providers that have dump-looking clinics where they allow patients to line up outside the building chain smoking cigarettes as community members drive by (really classy!) complain about not being accepted in the mainstream of healthcare! Um....

One of the ways our clinic is committed to fighting stigma is through the APPEARANCE of our facility. It should look like and feel like any other specialty medical office!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:23 am 
Administrator

YES!! That is the exact way our clinic looks! Before the open there are people lined up outside chain smoking and swearing as loud as they can, even when they have their kids with them, and all of this is in the middle of our town centre, so all the people going to work, and people shopping can see, so small wonder we have a bad reputation!

I went to the clinic yesterday, and managed to speak to the director, and he has arranged a meeting with me to discuss some of the problems that are giving our clinic an image problem, so that's a step in the right direction hopefully!!