We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Someone please HELP!! BHG-Nashville, Tn. is killing me!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 am 

First of all, Thankyou so much for the approval email. I am desperate for sure. I'll explain a very small portion of my situation to get things rolling, however i think when all is explained you will understand my fear.
Okay, ive been a patient at BHG (Nash) for 16 years, during which ive only failed my admission UA. All cleans since. Im totally able to phase to "M" and come monthly but have to dtsy at 1x a week due to not being able to pay the $500 to pick up the 28 days worth. im the model patient. Well, on Sept. 19 i was taking by ambulance and admitted into Vanderbuilt because i had a abcess tooth infection traveled to my heart, leaving me at deaths door!! While in hospital i WAS given Dilauid, repeatedly, with no relief, i did feel it, it just didnt stop the pain. They knew i was on methadone and decided to give me 80 miggs of methadone FOR PAIN NOT ADDICTION PURPOSES, because they knew i had immediately threw up my 6:00 am "treatment" dose. Hell, i couldnt even open my mouth or tilt my head so consuming anything any way other than through i.v. was impossible. Fever kept anything from staying on my stomach also. Well, when i got out i had takehomes at home(this was a Tues) due back to clinic on that Fri. Nut being the honest and good patient ive always been i called to inform of my hospitalization. They told me id have to sign a release form so they could talk to them. I did that on Friday, picked my weeklies up and left. Well this past Friday they took my takehomes away saying it was because they gave me methadone!!!
Can this be? I even begged them to call my clinic, the Dr. stating she made numerous attempts at this my clinic WILL NOT RETURN EVEN EMERGENCY CALLS. I was scared to accept the 80miggs (my dose is 100, and thats another problem!!) because i knew they would do this. Can they? I was in so much pain i was desperate. Ive never been hospitalized while on methadone, but whats a MMT patient to do if in hospital with pain. My clinic cares none for my health, oh but hell to the yea they care enough to snatch my weeklies!!! And another thing, if they continue to make me come daily, im done, TOAST, i drive 100 miles to and from that clinic, i cant pay the gas and clinic. I am currently living in a R.V. with no running water!!! Paying my treatment has been my priority, for it has to be. And just to put it out there Dr. Ali snatched me off my 130 miggs that did wonderful for me, down to 100 miggs all of a sudden. He looked me in the eye and said the state was NOT allowing anyone over 100 miggs and preferred all to be on 80 miggs. Ive neen sick by 8:00 in the evening for months now. Despite multiple greviances ive filed...no body has talked to me or seen me. Im sad, im all alone,and im freaking tired of being in withdrawls while paying them money to do nothing but fatten their pockets. Need advice. This is just a few things they have done to me. Need a non-BHG clinic as close to Franklin, Tn. as possible.
All info will be a Godsend.

Post subject: Re: Someone please HELP!! BHG-Nashville, Tn. is killing me!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am 
Administrator

Belladonna, I'm sorry that you're in such a horrible situation due to something that you didn't have much control over.

What I wasn't clear about, was did the hospital give you any methadone to take home? Clinics are very wary of anyone getting methadone from a second source, but if you only took it whilst at the hospital, it shouldn't be such a massive problem as this.

IN TN, I don't believe the problem is so much BHG clinics, as the state itself, they are particularly harsh about dosing limits.

Zac is the NAMA guy for TN, so I am sure that he will have some good local knowledge and be able to help you with this.

Here is a clinic locator that you can look at to see if there are any clinics near you, and I'm sure Zac will be along pretty soon to give further advice.

I do know that some TN people get treatment out of state, is that at all a possibility for you if you could get monthly TH's?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:04 am 

Sapphire,
Oh no, it was just the one time, in the hospital. And I was too scared to even consider letting them give me another dose simply because i was fearful of getting in trouble when returning to clinic. And no i got no prescriptions to fill because...i left AMA as to get back to my takehomes which were at home. See, Sept. 20, 2015 i was seen at the ER in the county im living in, it was deemed urgent and they transported me to Vandy by ambulance, i figured id just get more antibiotics and come home, i took 1 takehome with me only because i was too sick to dose my regular early time. THATS BHG's problem that i took it and threw it up, and 8 hours later they decided to dose me 80 miggs. I had ststed i got more relief from my methadone dose in days past, only it didnt last but a few hours at only tsking it every 24 hrs. I didnt even request it at Vandy. Nurse st BHG said paperwork of nurses and Dr.s notes didnt distinguish between it being given for pain or OA. Does it matter? I was under a Dr.s care, a Dr. which called repeatedly to yalk to BHG per my request. And yes i can go to another clinic, how far depends on how often tho. And you think this situation is bad? I havent even started on the BIG ONE!!! But this takes priority over that right now, as this disrrupts my treatment all together. I tried to lovate Zac T. on Facebook reguarding this issue last Thursday, but havent heard anything yet.
Isnt it strange they didnt care about all the i.v. Dilaudid i got, but want to have a hissy fit over 80 miggs of methadone? What is that?
Thanks so much...i really dont know what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:45 pm 
Administrator

This is UNCONSCIONABLE. @belladonna fill out the grievance report and medical release located at http://www.methadone.org/grievance_report.html and then either email to me (tndirector@methadone.org) or fax to me (865-982-4048) and I am happy to try to help you. I know folks with BHG all the way up to the Vice President of Operations. If this is how it appears to be from your posts this is HORRIBLE. We also might want to consider talking to Wesley Gemmin, the TN State Opioid Treatment Authority. But get that grievance report to me so I can try to help you.... shoot me an email as well so we can set up a time to chat on the phone.

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:47 pm 
Administrator

sapphire wrote:
Here is a clinic locator that you can look at to see if there are any clinics near you, and I'm sure Zac will be along pretty soon to give further advice.

Unfortunately there's just the one clinic in Nashville... the next closest one is Columbia, TN but it is BHG as well and they were sharing a medical director. @bella do you know who the medical director is at BHG Nashville now? Is it Dr. Sarasti still? Get me that grievance paperwork!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:29 pm 

Oh Thankyou...im so scared, they intimidate us there. Ive filed 2 greviances about this, 1 last week, and 1 2 weeks ago when i knew they were starting in on me. But it wont do any good, as i had a problem last year where i tested neg. for methadone...but had dosed there the 2 days prior to the UA being done. Forced then to accept 30 day punishment. Why would i botch my 16 years worth of perfect UA's? I woulnt, and didnt. And people get "dilutes" all the time, long timers, not newbies.
As of now Scarlette is the Medical Director, and a counselor too. Audra, the main nurse is my main problem as she tootk my weeklies last Friday. Dr. Ali is our Dr. for those above 100 miggs. My counselor is Margerette should you need to contact her. I will get and do all that you request. Just hearing from you has calmed me alot. Im up all night and will reply if needed.
Thankyou so very much Zac. Oh...i will drive to an out of state clinic if it will make a difference. And Dr. Sirasti...is at BHG in Knoxville has been since 2013. God i loved her. Such a kind soul.
Again...im in debt to you.
Bella.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:19 am 
Administrator

I'm glad you feel a little better now you've spoken to someone about it Bella! I knew Zac would be able to help with this.

What are the other issues you're having then, if this is just one of them? You poor thing! :(

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:43 am 

Sapphire~
Well...i did feel better lastnight until i got completely blind sided by the clinic this morning. If it is okay i am am only scheduled for 2 surgeries this morning at work, so that being said, im gonna finish them both and then come back to finish explaining about what they have don to me now!!!! I may just send you an email pertaining to all of what happen. Ill certainly be back as soon as im finished at work. I definetely need to vent about the treatment i recieved this morning, its teeder- tottering right at the legal line, im sure of it!!! Ill be back momentarily please check back periodically for my reply is coming. Thankyou Sapphire...again. Im in debt to you also.
Bella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:30 am 
Administrator

A counselor can NOT be a medical director of a clinic... not unless they are also a licensed physician. Dr. Sarasti lives on the west side of Nashville.. she was commuting to the two clinics in Knoxville but hasn't been doing that for close to a year now. She and I submitted a proposal to do a presentation together at the last AATOD Conference. Since she lives in Nashville I thought maybe she had taken back over the Nashville clinic - but she might have left BHG altogether.

I'll be on the lookout for your paperwork. I need both the grievance report AND a medical release. No one at BHG Nashville will talk to me about you unless I have that medical release signed by you authorizing me to speak to them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:44 pm 

Zac, My counselor at BHG, Margerette just transferred down here from the Knoxville BHG, at my last months meeting Margerette statef that Dr. Sarasti was the Dr. at BHG Knoxville at the time she left to come to BHG- Nashville. I just assumed she knew what she was talking about. Now i knew Dr. Sarasti had an office on West End in Nashville where she has a practice for people on Sub's, but that too could be a rumor. All i know is she was wonderful, and i miss her caring attitude towatds ALL of her patients.
Now...I have a question of almost an emergent situation, when arriving at the center this morning, i of course immediately was told i was on hold, go figure. Well every December i have my annual yearly physical. At that time i have to go to a ER to get chest x-rays done due to my being a carrier of TB, im not active and years ago after starting the center i had them put me on 11 months worth of INH, a TB medication to keep from becoming an active carrier. If i was to come up on someone positive...id almost certainly get it. Ugh!!! Well, i was told i was to recieve a TB skin test AGAIN this morning, i freaked, a carrier of TB, with past, very ugly and very positive skin test results is to UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS TO EVER BE GIVEN ANOTHER TB SKIN TEST!!! But despite my being very upset by Audra saying if i didnt let them do the test, that i would not be in compliance and would suffer even more restrictions. The nurse, Tina, whom is wonderful said in private that i needed to file a seperate greviance about being forced to take that test. Repeated TB skin tests to a carrier can result in becoming positive for the illness. I was told that by 2 different ER physicians. And tomorrow im being forced to see the new Nurse Practioner, which i learned is new. Also the Medical Director is Carrie now, not Scarlette.
Zac, do i fill out your specific grievance form on the link you sent me per last evening, or do i use one from my center and fax that. Also, same question with the Medical Release Form. Getting that info to you is my no.1 priority. I just cant believe all of this is happening because i was hospitalized. And Audra had told me last Friday to bring in a paper from my first charge nurse from Vanderbuilt that was there when i threw up my dose that morning stating that i did in fact make her aware of it. I went to Vandy at 4:00am only to be told that they couldnt give me a pass to simply walk around the 7th floor looking for a specific nurse. Which makes total sense!!! So Audra has left me on dosing daily because getting her the statement from that nurse and adding to EVEN MORE PROOF I DID NOTHING WRONG TO DESERVE THIS. Without that paper she has me jumping through hoops to get, my hands are tied. I will get you that info as soon as im clear on the above questions.
Thanks again Zac & Sapphire,
Bella