We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Inmate Dies In Custody Of Drug WD's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:29 am 
Administrator

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/20 ... rawal.html

Another poor family are dealing with the grief of their loved one passing away in jail from WD's. Cause of death was apparently benzo withdrawal, but he was also in MMT.

The jail knew upon admission that he was prescribed benzo's and methadone, and seemingly did nothing but 'monitor' him.

In this day and age, when jails know full and well that either benzo or methadone WD cold turkey can kill, I cannot believe they did not have him under medical supervision.

All jails need to learn a lesson from this. The problem lies with the fact that the majority of the jail staff think that inmates are lowlife scum, and are 'faking it'. Until we get staff that treat inmates like actual human beings that have the same medical needs as any other human, more people are going to needlessly die. The whole thing is saddening and disgusting.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: Inmate Dies In Custody Of Drug WD's
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:30 am 

I wish I knew how to advocate the need for treatment in correctional facilities. Jails are the worst places to be when your on MMT, without a doubt, I myself have not seen the inside of a jail cell in way over 20 years! If you have any advice on how I can do something about letting inmates have some relief please contact me I would love to take a stand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:28 am 
Administrator

I'm Good - the best way you can help is to get involved with NAMA (National Alliance of Medically Assisted Advocates).

NAMA advocate in all areas that are beneficial to MMT patients, and are always looking for more people to help them.

Here is their website where is will tell you all the things you can do to get involved.

http://www.methadone.org/

This forum, WSM, is backed by NAMA too!! I'm so pleased that you want to get involved in helping people that are struggling with access to MMT. It's something that all MMT patients should get more actively involved in, so good for you!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:17 am 
Administrator

There are some really great resources from the Legal Action Center regarding MAT and the criminal justice system, etc... Look at the Publications in their Medication Assisted Treatment section here: http://lac.org/resources/substance-use-resources/medication-assisted-treatment-resources/, @I'm Good. Especially that policy paper titled Legality of Denying Access to Medication Assisted Treatment in the Criminal Justice System. There's LOADS of good info there, and it gives every patient the base info they need to fight for themselves should they find themselves in the criminal justice system --- or at least to give to their attorneys.

Otherwise @Sapphire gives good advice... The National Alliance for Medication Assisted (NAMA) Recovery is the leading patient advocacy organization for methadone and buprenorphine patients, and I would start by JOINING NAMA Recovery and then writing to Joycelyn Woods, the NAMA Recovery President at edirector@methadone.org and seeing how you can get involved. There might be a chapter in your area as well, and if there is you can contact your chapter director and get plugged in as well. You can see a list of all the chapters HERE. Also, if you REALLY want to get involved, you could consider becoming a certified MAT advocate (CMA). The CMA training is offered every 18 months in conjunction with the national AATOD Conference as a "pre-conference session." The next CMA training will be offered in November of 2016 in Baltimore, MD. Closer to the date information on registration for the CMA course will go up on NAMA Recovery's website.

In the meantime, keep coming back! Getting active in this forum and helping us keep it going is a VERY important way you can get involved right now! :-)

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:44 am 
Administrator

As Zac says, joining NAMA is one of THE best things that patients can do to support the MMT advocacy efforts that are going on, on your behalf.

We always need more people to help, and the more voices we have banded together as one, the stronger our movement is.