We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Shorted On My Dose
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:24 am 
Administrator

I posted in the Methadone Discussion FB group a few weeks back about my dose being short. I pick up weekly (the max we can get), and as I have never had a problem before and my pharmacy is excellent I never check the bottles.

Well, I pick up on Friday, and come Saturday I look at the bottle I've pulled out of the pharmacy bag that's in my lockbox and it's probably about 20mg short. I didn't tell the pharmacy as I didn't think they'd believe me.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later, come Saturday again (when the pharmacy's closed) I pick out a bottle for Saturday and it's short again, so I pull them all out and it turns out that 2 are short, again it looks like about 20mg.

As it was 2 bottles this time, I felt that I had little choice but to contact the pharmacy when they opened again on Monday.

The pharmacist was actually pretty good, he took all my remaining bottles off me, measured them all, and replaced the methadone that was short. All well and good I thought!

Now, I should mention that the only time my bottles were ever short was when we've had a locum pharmacist in, and not the usual excellent one.

So, went to pick up yesterday and there was the locum in again, and when I get home, lo and behold, 2 of the bottles are short again. This time I immediately call them and tell the dispensing assistant who knew about what had occurred previously.

Had to go back to the pharmacy, have them re-measure all my bottles and make sure they were the right dose and replace whatever was missing.

This only happens when there is a locum in. I don't necessarily think that the locum is 'taking' my methadone, I think he's just not as thorough as my normal pharmacist, and that as he makes up hundreds of bottles for the weekend's on Friday as the pharmacy is closed all weekend, that he's just not checking things properly.

I'm starting to dread him being on, and next time I see it's him dispensing, I am for sure going to check all the bottles in the pharmacy before I leave!! I don't like doing this usually, as I have to go 1st thing in the morning when they first open, and there are lots of people collecting scripts, some of whom are not yet in recovery, so I worry that if they see how much methadone I have, they might try to snatch it from me when I leave the shop (this has happened to other patients with weekly TH's of higher doses).

Anyway, the main thing is that they do believe me and did replace the missing methadone, which I am very pleased about. It feels really good to be trusted and believed, and not treated like I've done something like siphon it off and then go back to the pharmacy claiming that 'the dog ate my methadone'!!

So, I hope that everyone here at WSM&B has a good weekend. Does anyone have any plans?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!