We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Let's Introduce Ourselves!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:02 pm 
Administrator

Hi Aaron, and welcome to WSM! Good to see you over here!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:37 pm 
Administrator

Leavitt207 wrote:
Hello everyone!
I'm a little late to the party, but...

My name is Aaron.. I grew up in northern Maine(bordering Canada). I have been in MAT for a little over a year now and it has been an immense lifesaver! I am on a stable dose of 130mg . I finally got a job that I love and have been enjoying life like we all should. I plan on being on methadone indefinitely and proud of it! Thank you everyone for letting me be a part of this great forum!!

This is a party no one can EVER be late for! :) I'm glad you're coming around to WSM, Aaron. Come by and post often... I just can't stop saying how excited I am that these forums are getting up and running and active again! 8-)

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:26 pm 

Welcome Aaron! Glad to meet some new patients! I think this forum wills grow at a pretty quick pace actually. SO many old users new users coming together at the same time should bring this place back to life relatively quickly. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:32 pm 
Administrator

miguelASHES wrote:
Welcome Aaron! Glad to meet some new patients! I think this forum wills grow at a pretty quick pace actually. SO many old users new users coming together at the same time should bring this place back to life relatively quickly. :-)

I think that would be fantastic miguelASHES! :) This is one of the original forums, and I hope it will always keep its rightful place among the active MAT forums and online communities. Lots have come and gone since this one was created... but it's still hung around, even through tough times. ;)

And I'm very thankful YOU are here!
zt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:28 am 
Administrator

It has, hasn't it Zac! WSM has been around for so long now. It was definitely one of the major forerunners of online support for the MMT community. I don't know when exactly it started, but I've know of it since at least the very early 2000's

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:23 pm 
Administrator

sapphire wrote:
I don't know when exactly it started, but I've know of it since at least the very early 2000's

This is a question for the methadone advocacy historian extraordinaire Joyce Woods (aka "The Director" on WSM)... Hopefully she'll come around soon. She knows the history of everything all the way back to Dole and before. She needs to write it all down in a book!

zt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:33 pm 

The WSM was started in about 2000 by Hoss who was our West Virginia Chapter. :) He paid for WSM for about 5 years by himself - when we had the money we would help out. He then handed the board over to NAMA-R and that was around 2006.

Before WSM there was Bitch and Gripe. :lol: That was started by Walter Ginter because he was mad at Beth Israel -- so he put up a website because he had a server and his idea was to get Beth Israel patients to post about things that happened at their Beth Israel clinic. When it first went up everyone (including the state and Beth Israel staff) was reading it and laughing because there were really some funny things. One instance was about the Patient Representative for Beth Israel at the time - the wonderful Peter Vanderkloot who also tried to steal our website. He was suppose to meet with patients at the Lee Building and all the patients were waiting for him. He went to one of the supervisors offices - which one I don't know - and went out to breakfast with him. They then announced on the loud speaker that "Peter VanderKloot has left the building". :roll: Not really but that was the joke. He just left to have breakfast with his buddy. Even the director of Beth Israel was reading it. Addie Corradi (the director) who later asked us to put together a patient committee for Beth Israel and Walter asked if she wanted him to take Bitch and Gripe down. Addie said not to do that because she had no other way to know what her staff was doing. But by this time Bitch and Gripe had grown to a national forum and it was set up to post reviews about clinics. It was taken down about 2005.

And before that was the Methadone List :D that was run by David Borden's group DRC Net. That was in the late 1990s and it was interesting because I could see the server from the email address but not the entire email. There were a lot of state and federal people on the list and international government people -- that lurked. :twisted: Probably because they could not say anything anyway but they could review the posts from their region, state, country.

Together we are making a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:29 pm 
Administrator

LOVE all this history! Thanks Joyce! 8-)

zt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm 

Hello my name is Roxa, I have been in treatment for nearly 10 years. I live in Southern Indiana. I couldn't be happier that this is back up and running. My first experience with reaching out was in fact "we speak methadone" I've been to other sites and for me it didn't work out for one reason or another. Having a place to come to is priceless. The things we can learn from each other, the camaraderie. I'm excited!!!! :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 pm 
Administrator

I'm good. wrote:
Hello my name is Roxa, I have been in treatment for nearly 10 years. I live in Southern Indiana. I couldn't be happier that this is back up and running. My first experience with reaching out was in fact "we speak methadone" I've been to other sites and for me it didn't work out for one reason or another. Having a place to come to is priceless. The things we can learn from each other, the camaraderie. I'm excited!!!! :P

Welcome BACK to WSM, Roxa! So glad you're back with us... and a lot of us are just thrilled and excited things are getting active again as well! 8-) Come around and post often! So many folks can benefit from the experience of other longterm stable patients like you!