We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Let's Introduce Ourselves!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am 
Administrator

Ok, a lot of us are going to me from Methadone Discussion on Facebook, b ut why don't we introduce ourselves with a little description of who we are, how long we've been in treatment, and what our goals are from treatment. I'll go first I guess!!!

I am Sapphire, I live in a little village by the sea in the UK, and have been in treatment for about 22 years.

My maintenance dose was 220mg, and recently I started tapering down from that. I got to the mid to low 30's and found that my quality of life was suffering, even though I was doing a very slow taper, and my cravings were increasing massively.

I felt like it would be a failure to go back up, after all the work I'd put in going down, but I could not carry on like I was, or relapse would have been imminent.

So, I titrated back up to 60mg, and still didn't feel quite 'right', so went to 80, and again still wasn't feeling as I should. I went 10mg higher to 90mg, and that seems to be my 'right' dose for now as I have happily been on that for about 6 months now, and have found that my quality if life is better. I am not so miserable, I have more energy, and I just have more zest for life.

If people taper, and the taper does not work as they wanted it to, it's really important to realise that it's not a 'failure'. Substance use is a disease, and we cannot beat diseases by just 'trying hard', or 'wanting it badly enough' or 'putting the right amount of work in' or any of the other NA psychobabble nonsense they would have you believe.

So, I hope we'll hear from some more of you!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: Let's Introduce Ourselves!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:25 am 
Administrator

Great idea! :-)

My name is Zac. I live in Maryville, TN, USA (the eastern part of TN... right up against the North Carolina Border). I help with the TN/GA Chapter of NAMA Recovery, am a certified methadone advocate, and I am also a co-owner and the program sponsor/administrator of a clinic in Chatsworth, Georgia called Counseling Solutions of Chatsworth. I'm living in long-term, sustained medication assisted recovery myself. I hope we can get these forums back up to where they SHOULD be! :-)

I can't wait to meet everyone else!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:27 am 

I'm Stephanie. I live in a small town in Massachsetts. I'm 29 (about to turn 30 on the 21st) and have been on MMT since I was 18. I only recently got sober 3 years ago and finally have been able to sustain it. My current dose is 110, though my highest was 130. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be on this earth if it wasn't for MMT. It literally saved my life! I'm so happy to be here in this forum and can't wait to meet new people in recovery! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:23 am 
Administrator

Welcome Stephanie! So wonderful to have you join us here on WSM&B! 8-) I hope you'll come around and post often... This really has been THE place to come for MAT peer support and advocacy (and just to hang out) in the past, and I hope that it comes back to that again! If a few of us commit to coming around at least once each day then it will start to catch on again and spread like wildfire. If folks drop in and see there's no activity then they'll move on --- but if patients or family drop in and see we're having active threads then they'll stick around and jump in! :D

So WELCOME!! Look forward to getting to know you!
zt

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:03 pm 

I am Miguel. I have been on methadone for about 11 years. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. I was a member of this forum 8-10 years ago but I don't remember my username or password, so I've created a new account in an attempt to help get this forum back up and running like it used to be!

I'm am currently attempting to taper off. I was on a stable dose of 210 mgs for many years. I just had to raise my dose from the mid 30's (like sapphire) because I was having a hard time stabilizing any lower than that. I will hang out at this dose for another month or two to give my body and mind a break from the unstableness I was feeling and then I will be attempting to taper again.

I'm here to learn, share what knowledge I have, and to make new friends in the this world wide connection point for methadone patients. I look forward to getting to know some of the older members again and all the new ones!

I've been running a methadone harm reduction forum on Reddit for the last year and a half and plan on attending the next NAMA convention to become a certified methadone advocate (and maybe go on to open up a state chapter if that's what the future holds for me).

I look forward to getting to know everyone :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 pm 
Administrator

Hey Miguel! WELCOME BACK to WSM! :) I didn't realize that you were attempting a taper -- good luck! You know what the evidence and everything says: Slow and steady wins the race! Take it slow and listen to your body. A general rule is no more than 10% of the dose every 2-3 weeks (so obviously decreases will be smaller the lower you go), but that's not always an exact rule in the first half of the taper. Sometimes you can decrease more than 10% when you're still up above 100mg. But the main thing is to LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and don't be scared to go back up or stop the taper if you feel bad... give your body time to catch up!

Your experience throughout this taper the next couple years could be invaluable to other posters! Keep coming back! 8-)
zt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 pm 

Hey all

I'm Annamary. 33 yrs old, and been on MMT for just almost two years. 8/1 would mark my 2yr anniversary.
My current dose is 115. Was at 90 for awhile, tried a taper and didn't like it, my body wasn't ready. So sorry went back up, and realized 90 wasn't holding me. Been considering another small increase.
My main goal is dose stability, then after that's achieved, I want to start tapering my THC use so I can eventually receive take-homes. My place is open 365days/yr. Since I'm still considered illicit, I need to go in every day. But really don'tmund the 12min drive across the border to NH from VT

Can't wait to meet you all

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:29 pm 
Administrator

Glad you're coming back around @Banannamary! :) I'm so excited the forums are getting up and running again. I remember meeting you in the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion Group on Facebook not long after you had started treatment.... It's hard to believe you're nearing your two year anniversary! That's awesome. Time flies in recovery, huh?? 8-)

So glad you're here... Post often!
zt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:49 am 
Administrator

Hi Stephanie, Miguel and Annamary and welcome (back) to WSM! We look forward to hearing more from all of you!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:00 pm 

Hello everyone!
I'm a little late to the party, but...

My name is Aaron.. I grew up in northern Maine(bordering Canada). I have been in MAT for a little over a year now and it has been an immense lifesaver! I am on a stable dose of 130mg . I finally got a job that I love and have been enjoying life like we all should. I plan on being on methadone indefinitely and proud of it! Thank you everyone for letting me be a part of this great forum!!