We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: MAT Unjust Dosing Policy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:39 am 

I hope to read some replies on this topic from other Members. I want to explain an unjust dosing policy happening at the THS methadone clinic located in Shoreline, WA. And it happened more than once! Let me explain the situation at this clinic. Many of the clinic's patients have had there Sunday take home dose withheld from them because of an anonymous phone call, or word of mouth reporting they have diverted their Sunday take home dose. I feel this is unjust, and a violation of patient rights. Maybe I am wrong, but do MAT patients even have a right to a Sunday take home dose if their clinic is closed on Sundays? Provided we paid our fees, and have complied with all the clinic's rules. I feel we must be given a Sunday, and/or holiday dose when the clinic closes for that day.
Let me give a recent example of where I feel unjust treatment is practiced. An anonymous call made to the clinic reports a patient has diverted a bit of their Sunday take home dose by giving their 5 year old daughter a bit of methadone. Upon getting this anonymous report, this MAT clinic then took away the patients Sunday take home dose for the next 90 days. This action by the clinic director was taken based on information reported anonymously over the phone. How in the world can this happen to MAT patients? Anyone could hold a grudge and decide to call your clinic making a false report.
I am going to name the clinic and its director because if this kind of thing happens to someone else, it could happen to you, or me too! Where is our recovery in this type of clinic policy?
This UNJUST Policy happens at THS Shoreline, WA. Ben Ross, director.
by the way, the parent accused of giving their 5yr old daughter methadone had their Sunday dose returned to them by Ben Ross, but only after the 30 days it took to get results of a UA given to their daughter. This was the only way the parent could think of to prove they did not do what was alleged.

Post subject: Re: MAT Unjust Dosing Policy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:25 am 

This Ross guy could be in BIG trouble!!!!! It is wrong to without a dose from a patient for any reason. Other then alcohol or Violence. I don;t see that in your post so it sounds like this guy needs to be reported to CSAT. The sooner the better. Do a Google on Center for Substance Abuse Treatment...Get the # and CALL!!!! Tell them "Rokki sent YOU!"
As for the phone calls,doesn't thiis guy know about the Fed Reg CFR 42???? That states No one can get information about another patient without a Release of information! I don't see that in your post either!!!This also means that if I was to call about a patient,the Staff member on the other end is NOT to even admit that person is on the program,Not without a Warrant of the Federal kind.
This is Why I say "Knowledge is Power" Get yourself a copy of the Fed Regs and Your State Regs..It's not a Big CIA Secret and the Information Act grants us access to them. www.samhsa.gov is where you will find the Fed Regs...Google WA's State Methadone Authority and get their info,call and get a copy of the State Regs. Now WA is a rare state that also is it's own Accreditation Agency,How a State can Over see itself is pure Conflict to me,but WA is a weird Bird....While your at the samhsa site download,cuz they never have the hardbacks anymore,the TIP 43....Read it...It covers best practices....This way YOU know what they can and cannot do...Don't let this go..I will help however I can....
I'm sure this will be read by the powers that be so they will be aware of it!!!!
Thank You for bringing this to Our Attention...

Peace Out
Rokki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:55 pm 

PrezRok,

Thank you so much for all the great information! I will not let this go! I will be following your advice and keep you, and all the NAMA Forum Members posted as to the outcome.

Regards,
InRecuvree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:02 pm 

Only too happy to help...If you have any questions,just ask. The only Dumb question is the one Un-asked...:)

Peace Out

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:00 pm 
Administrator

Washington is one of the states that has its own state accrediting organization, no? This is the type of issue I'd address with CARF or The Joint Commission normally... Does the WA State Accrediting organization have a grievance procedure?

Here's the contact info listed for them on the CSAT Website where it lists accrediting bodies:

Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery,
Washington Department of Social and Health Services
P.O. Box 45330 (Mail Stop 45330)
Olympia, Washington 98504-5330
http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/dasa/

Telephone : 877-301 4557 or 360-725-3747
malmedw@dshs.wa.gov

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:36 pm 
Yes I would call the accreditation body, and if you don't get anywhere with them, then contact csat per rokki's suggestion. People do care and we all need to pull together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:38 pm 

But WA oversee's itself,how can that even be helpful??? Think about it...How does one oversee itself???? Wouldn't catch me on one of their programs....Spooky place.....

Peace Out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:41 pm 
Administrator

Well the folks that are in the accrediting agency aren't the same folks that are running the programs... You could make that same argument about CARF or any of the others since it's largely providers that are the surveyors... but they don't survey their own program. Either way CSAT tends to be more attentive if they know you've exhausted other options first in my experience.

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:08 pm 

I was only remarking on the accreditation body in WA...nothing more...;)

peace out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:11 am 

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Knowledge is Power! And all of you have empowered me.