We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Parity and Health Care Reform
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 am 

Good information Zenith. Still, the biggest question on my mind is "will Methadone be required to be covered by insurance companies". Will insurance companies be required to provide addiction services. Also, will rehab facilities be considered "medical" treatment or "addiction" treatment.

My husband and I are now paying out the price of another mortgage(10,000, reduced from 14,000 by the rehab), because the rehab I went to 2 summers ago is not considered a "medical" facility and so could not be covered under my insurance. I had used up my lifetime addiction services. Even though the recommendation for me to come off 70mgs of Methadone came from my cardiologist, and I provided letters to the insurance company from him, it made no differerence. Even though the rehab I went to,.. had nurses on site who administered medications,.. a physician with numerous PAs who worked under him,... and ordered tests like cat scans to be done at a local hospital (I know because I had one done when the bleeding from my diarrhea became quite severe),...they are not considered a "medical" facility. Had I did my withdrawing at a "hospital" my insurance would have paid (and I'm sure much more than 10,000 bucks).

I sure hope this new parity law will at least stop stuff like this happening to someone else.

Marot