We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Why Language Matters
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm 
Administrator

Exactly, sapph.... I still have no clue what PrezRok was talking about way back then... who knows.

Onward to better things... LANGUAGE MATTERS! 8-)

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:28 am 
Administrator

LOL, I had no clue either, don't think anyone did!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:26 am 

I don't like to use the word clean time either. It stigmatizes the people suffering from addictive disorder's which are still struggling with illicit drug use. I prefer to use addiction free or substance free. Then of course there's the words like junkie, tweaker, etc. I can't believe how many people I've talked to in school about their use of these two words and I'm in a Human Services/Chemical Dependency degree program!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:26 pm 
Administrator

Exactly right! I'm clean when I take a shower! But being "clean" has absolutely nothing to do with any health condition I may have nor its medical treatment! I'm so glad you're joining in on the forum, Jeffrey!! You're going to be a great asset.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:03 am 

Thank you Zac! I'm really glad to be here. I've been in contact with Joycelyn about starting a NAMA Recovery chapter here in Washington state. I'll be attending the AATOD conference in 2016 and taking the CMA course so we'll get to meet in the not too distant future:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:43 pm 
Administrator

Jeffrey wrote:
Thank you Zac! I'm really glad to be here. I've been in contact with Joycelyn about starting a NAMA Recovery chapter here in Washington state. I'll be attending the AATOD conference in 2016 and taking the CMA course so we'll get to meet in the not too distant future:)

Bravo! We need more chapters on the West Coast, that's for sure! I'm glad you got in touch with Joyce.... obviously she's the Executive Director/President of NAMA-R right now, but she is also wearing the hat of "chapter coordinator" until we can get a computer to one of our officers that officially has that role. Either way, I'm glad you're going to get certified and get a chapter going in Washington State. I know another person in Washington state that is also planning on taking the CMA course in Baltimore at the AATOD Conference in Nov. 2016, and he is also interested in getting a chapter going there. Perhaps the two of you could work together. I would have LOVED to have had someone else when I started the chapter in TN and GA several years back.

I'm glad you're with us on this forum, and I hope you'll come back and post often!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 am 
Administrator

Doesn't Washington state have some quite bizarre regs around MMT? Having a NAMA chapter there would be excellent, as I'm always seeing people from Oregon/WA with issues and not really having much in the way if advocacy actually based in that area.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:00 pm 
Administrator

sapphire wrote:
Doesn't Washington state have some quite bizarre regs around MMT? Having a NAMA chapter there would be excellent, as I'm always seeing people from Oregon/WA with issues and not really having much in the way if advocacy actually based in that area.

It's not so much they have bizarre regs for Opioid Treatment Programs, but the State of Washington has its own Accrediting Body where clinics in most states are accredited through CARF, The Joint Commission or COA.... Washington State and the State of Missouri are two states that have their own state accrediting organizations, so that's "different" than many states. -Z

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 am 
Administrator

Yes! That's what I was thinking of. I knew it was not quite the same as most of the rest of the states, but could not remember why!!

More certified advocates has got to be a good thing, as there's always so many people with one problem or another that need help!