We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why Language Matters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm 

BOWING...Thank You...Thankyou...We need to make flyers of those to take to Philly...LOL

Thanks Zac...I needed that... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peace Out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 am 

I have encountered this problem as well, sad part it was a nurse that said "methadone causes sores all over your body" I was taking P.A.T.H classes through the DCS to become a foster parent...one of the classes was a medication class and I was floored when she said methadone, I raised my hand and ask her if she meant to say meth and she said "no both of them" so naturally I explained some of my story ..... the medical field needs more training with the use of "methadone" as maintenance medication....my mom has been a RN for many years, she has been in management for the last 15 years and she will be the first one to tell you she knew nothing about methadone other than using it for pain.....I have lived with her since march of 09 and now she sees how methadone "if used right" can help change lives....however training and education is a must....I would love to be able to help educate ppl and be able to share my experience as a patients side....I believe we could change many peoples view if we had both sides, medical personal along with patients in recovery to work as an educational team.....I think the reason most methadone patients are scared to speak up about it because the fear of being labeled as a "dope head" or being told you just "traded" one drug for another

sorry if I got off topic a little....if this needs to be moved I understand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
You know Bobbi I think you are soooooooo right that the medical field needs LOADS of more training on addiction medicine. There are even MD's I've heard such B.S. from. Ugh. It never ceases to blow my mind that one of the MOST evidence-based and proven effective treatments in ALL of medicine is also one of the most misunderstood and stigmatized at the same time!

Methadone causes sores all over the body?! smh............. Stoooooooopid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm 

Actually having a place where Patients and Admin's alike can get educated about MAT DOES exist. It exists in each of Us,it exists in this very Organization and at MARS Project in the Bronx,which is also part of this Org. We also do a "Certified Methadone Advocate Training" at each AATOD Conference. We get Dr's,Patients,State Reps,Fed Reps,Out of Country Dr's. It's an all day training and you walk away from it knowing so much more then you thought you would know.

Being the "Language Police" that I am I am quick to correct someone when they use a term that does not help our Recovery,in fact it takes from it and pushes our self esteem further in the toilet. I am very passionate about my Recovery and it comes through sometimes as 'tuff broad',but it comes from my heart in hopes patients will do the same and correct other's as they call our medication 'meth'...shiver..or call us 'clients' or ask if we are clean today,yeah I took a shower so I am clean...Terms like those are left over from the Nazi AA Mantra and has no place in MAT Recovery...;)

Peace-Out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:00 pm 
I so agree. And @PrezRok I want to introduce you officially to Bobbi... she is an "advocate in training" with the TN chapter. :-) She is trying to work it so she can attend the CMA in November too! She JUST joined NAMA Recovery as an official member day before yesterday too. She's currently reading Lisa Torres & William White's Recovery Oriented Methadone Maintenance while she awaits her TIP 43 to arrive. :-) :-)

Bobbi you'll learn sooo very much from Rokki. She is one of my mentors - and an amazing advocate and even better friend. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 pm 

Nice to meet you,Bobbi. You can't go wrong with Zac helping to educate. The TIP43 is something we always strongly suggest so patients can begin to educate themselves. Your Recovery becomes so solid as you become educated with Regs etc etc..;)
Hope to see you here often..;)

Thanks Zac,cuz I consider you a good friend as well...;) xxx

Peace Out

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:44 am 

thank you zac for the introduction....I am also very passionate with my recovery....zac has been loads of help and I thank him so much for this opportunity....I hope someday MMT will be accepted the same as any other medicine but for that to happen we ALL have to stand together to change it....thanks prezrok for the nice welcome....Im sure ill be around a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm 

Just a quick note to those of you who think Language doesn't matter......Seems a list on FB has changed their views on Language. Don't let them take you back down! It's just a social media. We have over 50 yrs of Data surrounding MAT and even SAMHSA came around,after listening to Language Police everywhere..;)
So at this list Language does still matter 100% . If you need a refresher course,Please start with post 1.

Thanks in Advance

Language Police Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 am 
Not sure what list that is but it's not one I'll ever be a part of... That's for dang sure! The group I run, the largest on FB, makes the fact language matters very clear in the rules pinned to the top.

zt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:57 pm 
Administrator

Yup, the MMT Discussion group have always had very clear guidelines about how much Language Matters around substance use. Not sure I'd want to be part of one that insisted on using the old stigmatising stereotypes like 'clean' and 'junkie' etc either!!

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next