We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why Language Matters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 pm 
I have been having some of the same problems posting on here... It kind of "hanging" and/or freezing up or taking me to a blank page... That just seems to have started over the past day or two... Any ideas why, dear moderators @ancoulter and @PrezRok???

zt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:11 am 

Yeah...I am having issues as well with replies,but my system crashes on a daily basis so I thought it was me. I'm still learning my way around this software :oops: :oops: :oops: ,but perhaps Abby could look into it. She is familiar with it... ;)

So we are aware of it......

Rokki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
what would be the proper terminology for detoxing/tapering/decreasing?? I thought I saw that already discussed here somewhere but I forgot what it says and now I don't see it. Is there another thread on here with terminology??

oops found it and instead of erasing my post I will just add it...

"Please watch your language! Language matters! Please refrain from calling Methadone "Meth." Drug screens are positive/negative not dirty/clean. We taper or withdrawal - not "detox." We are patients - not "clients."

Please see our post titled "language" matters for more information and why this is important!

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:50 pm 
I'm glad you pointed this out again, @wayovermyhead... Sometimes even the most dedicated advocates can forget some of this ("old habits die hard"). Anything that's posted by the username "admin" on here is actually NAMA-Recovery's Executive Director, Joycelyn Sue Woods, MA, CMA, from NYC. Her "personal" username here on the Forum is "The Director." Just a FYI so everyone knows who/which admin is actually the one who posts things under the username "admin."

:D :D :D

zt

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:18 pm 

zac_talbott wrote:
I sometimes feel like I am constantly asking people to re-think calling our medicine "meth" on a DAILY basis... to MMT patients! :x It's sooo frustrating to me! SURELY the implications are CLEAR, no?

zt

Just today I had to correct someone calling Methadone "Meth", ugh!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:54 pm 

It's a never ending battle...Truly it is...Thanks for being a soldier out there in the fight against Stigma... ;) ;)

Peace-Out

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 pm 

I had to correct someone just today that was calling methadone "meth". It was a worker at the Cabinet For Health and Family Services, and she asks me "Are you still going to the Meth clinic?" UGH, so frustrating!!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 am 
Keep on correcting, @cadkins0132!! Language matters!!! :-) Everytime we point out the potential negative implications of certain word choices were are doing VERY important advocacy work... Sometimes the simple, "easy" things can make the biggest impact! :-)

zt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 am 

So true @zt! The small things we do for MMT patient advocacy sometimes do make the most impact. I just gotta keep fightin' the good fight!!!! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 pm 
I was browsing the forums and realized we'd never posted this Meme here.... So I thought there was NO better thread or place for this Meme that NAMA Recovery of Tennessee (http://www.tnmethadone.org) made in Honor of our dear President, Rokki Baker, the Original Stigma/Language Police & Grammar Patrol!!! :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol:

Methadone patients are PATIENTS just like anyone else who goes to the doctor! Referring to patients as "clients" is denigrating and threatens our protections from PATIENT rights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next