We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Sleep Study/Myoclonic 'Jerks'
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:36 am 
Administrator

For the last few years I've been having really bad headaches. They're not migraines, and I've tried many different medications, prescription and OTC to treat them, and nothing really works very well apart from diazepam/oxezepam (relaxes the muscles and eases the headache), but I don't want to have to start taking them all the time.

Anyway, I had to have a routine EEG done to assess my epilepsy, and it was what's called a 'sleep deprived' EEG. What you do is not sleep at all the night before the test, and then during the test they ask you to try to sleep.

What was happening when I tried to sleep (I didn't realise this, I thought I was asleep), was that I was starting to go into a proper sleep mode (they have you hooked up so they can read your brain waves) and I was 'jerking' myself awake every 10 mins or so, and as a result was not getting into a proper sleep.

For years I've felt like I've not been getting good quality sleep, and I've tried everything from white noise machines to new beds to blackout curtains to medications, and I never really feel like I'm actually rested after being asleep.

I'm hoping that when I get the results from my neurologist they will tell me what's going on, and the secretary did mention something about a sleep study, to see if I do this jerking thing all night or what.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? There's no 'jerking' when I'm awake, it's purely in my sleep, and I'm not really even aware that I'm doing it.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

Post subject: Re: Sleep Study/Myoclonic 'Jerks'
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:45 pm 
Administrator

I've had some patients mention "jerking" whilst being on methadone. I had never heard of that (or experienced it myself) before, but since I brought the subject up in the Facebook group some few months ago many people replied they experience that too. Very bizarre! Keep us posted as you learn more about this.

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:11 am 
Administrator

I got the results of my EEG, and it turns out that they think I am having myoclonic jerks in my sleep. This is apparently disrupting my sleep so that I'm not getting into a proper deep level of sleep. Explains why I feel so tired all the time and I get up in the morning feeling like I haven't slept a wink!

The first neurologist tried to tell me that it was basically all due to my anxiety, and that was what was causing all my peripheral neuropathy and headaches and 'jerking'. So I asked for a 2nd opinion and this 2nd guy has ordered a sleep study, so they can monitor me for a full period of sleep to see exactly how much the jerking is affecting my ability to get into a proper level of sleep.

This goes to show the importance of asking for a 2nd opinion. I knew that the 1st guy was not right, as soon as he heard I was seeing a psychiatrist, his whole attitude changed, and he started blaming everything on my anxiety and other MH problems, which is ridiculous. You can't get peripheral neuropathy from worrying!!
The 2nd Dr was much more professional and seemed much more willing and keen to get to the bottom of what was causing the problems rather than trying to just fob me off with sleeping tablets (benzo's at that!) which the 1st guy was trying to do.

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:58 pm 

I have had ppl tell me that i jerk in my sleep.... occasionally it will kinda wake me up but i instantly go right back to sleep... but it seems that i have done this every since i started the methadone treatment ten years ago as of yesterday nov 5th! so I have been clean for ten years and 1 day! yay me! so anyways... what did your dr do for those jerks that you were having in your sleep? It is sometimes bothersome to be woke up in such a manner..... and yes there are morning i wake up feeling like sh!t and feel like i didnt sleep a wink! but i dont feel that way every day just sometimes.... but i do jerk in my sleep, weather its napping on the couch or in the bed at night time... thank you for posting about this matter cuz i wanted to but i was just embarrassed to cuz i thought it might not be going on with any other ppl....