We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Still testing positive for methadone
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 am 

Please help. My last dose of methadone was on Sept. 9th - 45mgs. I started the suboxone program on Oct. 9th. They are making me go to intensive outpatient therapy because they say my u/a's are coming up positive. I haven;t taken anything. It has to be the methadone. They told me to call the methadone clinic and have my last dose info faxed to them. The methadone clinic told me that there's no way their meds are still showing up in my urine. Is that true? I'm so angry! I do not take pills. The only thing that I would mess up with would be heroin. I've been doing so good and they're telling me that I'm still using. I can't for the life of me remember the word that I tested positive for, but the doc said that I must've taken oxy, opana, etc... I DID NOT! I haven't taken a pill since I found heroin. Please help me. Am i wrong? Could methadone still be showing up in my urine?

Post subject: Re: Still testing positive for methadone
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:08 pm 

Just a couple of questions.....Are they sending the test out or doing them scans at the office? Have you taken any NyQuil? It can show false methadone pos's for a week. It needs to go to an actual Laboratory to be really considered an Unfavorable UA,not just a quick scan in the office. I doubt very seriously if your last dose was Sept 9th that methadone from that is the culprit. Can't you ask for a re-test?
Hope that helps some.......

Peace Out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:23 pm 
@PrezRok has already asked the questions I would have asked first as well. (I must have some good mentors, huh? lol)

Also - methadone metabolites might continue to show up in the urine long beyond them actually being "active" in the system. There's a lot of factors involved in that - genetics, metabolism, body fat, etc. etc. But TWO MONTHS is a super long time for it continuing to show up... It's usually more like 2 to 4 weeks (and anything beyond 2 weeks is unusual). That does NOT mean that you're not a "special case," though, so I would advise you to fill us in a bit more re: PrezRok's questions and maybe we could advise a bit better?

Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 am 

Sorry it took so long to reply. I was so distraught over testing pos for stuff I didn't do that it made me get off my butt n go to a differemt place. Wow! Whatta difference! I told the new place everything and they do their testing on site in front if you. I only tested pos for suboxone. My urines had to b tampered with. I was told it wasn't methadone I was testing pos for but dilaudid, opana or oxy. I haven't taken that stuff in YEARS! Not since I found heroin. Anyway, I'm done with that place ! This new place is a doctors office. It's clean! There were freaking flowers in the bathroom! The old place had urine all over the bathroom floor and they expected u to set your stuff down in it. No hooks on the doors. I see an actual phychiatrist at this place. I don't just sit in a waiting room with 40 other ppl and get fallen on. It's $20 more bux a week but def worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:23 pm 
While I HATE that you had to endure all the crap you were dealing with - and all the stress, anxiety and down right anger that would come with being told you are testing positive for something you KNOW you haven't taken - it sounds like maybe everything's ended up leading to a MUCH better place for you??

It certainly sounds like you're in better hands now - so hopefully you'll now be treated with the dignity and respect that should be afforded EVERY patient who seeks specialty medical treatment voluntarily for a chronic disease! Your description of the "old place" - the nasty restrooms, etc. - make me so thankful you RAN from that place!!

Like many of us often tell patients in bad situations.... VOTE WITH YOUR FEET and transfer programs! Good on you! Keep us posted.

Happy Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:25 am 

Thanks and you're so right. So glad we switched! A crazy thing happened but this new place handled it beautifully and unlike anything I expected. We had our appointments on Wednesday at 11:30. We go in and the office was all dark and all the doors were locked. PANIC set in! Me n my husband were fresking. I called their answering service and they said they weren't informed that the office was closed so there was nothing I could do. I said there's no way they're gonna do this! Two hours later we got a call. There was only one person gonna be in the office that day due to thanksgiving and he got stuck driving his niece to school an hour away. They called when he was on his way to work and they closed the school because of weather so he had to turn around and get her. He apologized and asked if we could come now. I explained that I was going to work and we borrowed a car to get to our appointment and couldn't get there. He said NO PROBLEM! I'll just call your scripts in and see you guys next week. I was floored ! He did it. No problems! I'm so glad we switched ! The other place would've said it was our problem and if we want our scripts we gotta come to the office. They really cared and trusted us and just called them in! I still can't believe it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:52 pm 
That's AWESOME!!! I didn't even know they COULD call in a Rx for buprenorphine?? But I guess it's possible since it's a CIII and not a CII like methadone? Either way, I'm so glad you're happy at your new treatment center, and I hope things keep going well for you!!