We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Switching To Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 pm 

Wow, I'm glad to see you are giving suboxone a chance! It isn't a medication for everyone. Those who are stable in treatment on a low dose of methadone who are sick and tied of the three ring circus you have to perform in just to get your dose are the ones who will do well on suboxone. For me,I feel free! I go to a regular doctor who tests me for all my ailments, go to the pharmacy, get my medication, and live my normal life. For me, it was exactly what I needed. I was stuck driving an ungodly distance daily, unable to work because my life was centered around getting my methadone. I couldn't even let my daughter take ballet lessons because we wouldn't be home in time to go! I love being on suboxone now. I must iterate-METHADONE SAVED MY LIFE. It just got to the point where I was healthy and living "normally" but the restrictions in Pennsylvania made it impossible to not be shackled to the myriad of psychological ridiculousness that is amazing initially but becomes a hindrance once stable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 am 

I have my appointments every Wednesday. I was so happy that my urines are clean now and was feeling proud of myself. Then I go in to see the doctor. He said they only have one of my drug screens. What happemed to the other 3? Then he tells me I tested positive for hydromorphone, hrydro something and something else but since that was my first test, it's ok. I was like it's not ok because I did heroin. I don't even know where to find dilaudid. I haven't had that for YEARS! I only did heroin. He said well the tests don't lie. Why would I lie? I'm not denying I was using -- that's why I came for help. I only used heroin. That's the only thing I've used. I don't bother with pills because there's just not enough. Im so mad. Now I'm so worried about my next appointment. I've only taken suboxone as prescribed and I'm really doing good with it. I haven't even had cravings. I feel great. I'm afraid what they're gonna say they found in my pee this time. If they don't lose this one. I'm just irritated. Why would I lie? It's just weird. I've always been honest and he asked if my last pee had anything in it since he didn't have the results. I said yes --heroin. That's the only drug I've used in years. It took a few weeks to get it right because my husband started a week after me and heroin was in my face. Now that he goes to the sub clinic, he is good now. It's working for him too. Thank god. I'm just afraid of my next result. Then he tells me that after 3 positives, you get sent to intensive outpatient therapy and after the 4th, you're discharged. Then he tells me that the guy after me has 7 bad urines. I know who he is because well, he was next and I see him every week. The same ppl r scheduled at the same time every week. Big HIPPA violation. So he tells me I'll get discharged after 4 bad ones but the guy after me has 7. I am doing so good on suboxone and this place actually takes my insurance. Now I gotta worry about them either losing my results or funky stuff I don't take showing up in my pee. I asked if maybe the heroin was cut with the other stuff and he said no because ur brain turns heroin to morphine. I don't know what to think. I know our bodies turn heroin to morphine. Is this doctor crazy? I hope u can make sense of this post!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:45 pm 

The doctor is an idiot. Heroin is often cut with different drugs to make it more potent. In this part of the east coast, it is often cut with phentenol. Ugh is that the most horrid withdrawal ever! So, yes heroin breaks down in the system, but if there were other opiate meds cut into it, you would test positive for multiple substances. If you did a speed ball you'd test positive for morphine and cocaine so why wouldn't that be true elsewhere? Sounds like he's one of the 8 hour docs looking for money.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:49 pm 

I have never been on methadone but I do wonder what are the differences in how you feel on suboxone/methadone? My Dr had suggested I stabilized on methadone first then switch to suboxone but since its an hr away each way and Insurance I had at the time covered suboxone and not methadone I chose to start with suboxone and it has worked for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:59 am 

The two main differences I've noticed are that I don't sweat like a truck driver with no a/c and I can sit down without falling asleep and burning everything. I don't know why, but when we (me n my husband) were on methadone, we burned EVERYTHING! My couch looks like a landmine. Don't get me wrong, methadone worked wonders for us and if we could afford it, we'd still be on it. I was scared to death that suboxone wouldn't work for us. It does. Thank God! I do seem to have a little less energy, but I was off to a very rocky start when I first got on suboxone. I'm hoping that now that things have settled that I'll get back to normal. We had to jump off methadone at 45mgs. We were on a taper with the the goal to switch to suboxone, but things happen and it had to happen a little sooner. WE were idiots to think we could use heroin to deal with the methadone withdrawal until methadone was out of our systems to switch to subs. We couldn't afford the clinic anymore so switched to a $120/day habit. I'm just thankful I had the sense to stop and make an appointmet at the sboxone doctor. So that's where I'm at now. It was a real hard first two weeks, but I got through it. My husband couldn't get an appointment until a week after I started so I was still trying to use and be clean and I was confused. Then I got called back to work right in the middle of it all. Ugh! It was tough! Now that I've had a chance to breathe and give suboxone a real good try, I am doing really good! Oh, we got a St. Bernard puppy in the middle there too! He's so cute...and BIG! Now my only problem is the suboxone clinic and my urines. I have not used and I am ecstactic about it. I am not gonna be happy if I go in there on Wednesday and they tell me they either can't find my test or I tested for all kinds of crap again. The way this place is set up is terrible. They schedule like 20 people an hour for each doctor. There's 2 doctors. You're required to do an hour of group each week. So you sign in then go back to the "group" room. There's a little old counselor sitting in the corner and she checks you off that you are there for group. It's a joke. People just complain the whole time. They then call each person out to pee one at a time. back to group room. Then you get called to see the MA. You get your bp checked and answer a few questions. Back to group room. When you finally get called to see the doctor, hours have passed. Once you see the doctor you are free to go. I've seen so many ppldischarge for fighting and just acting like complete fools. Their system sucks. They schedule way too many people at the same time. It's supposed to be 1 hour from start to finish. I plan on being there at least 3 hours each week. I'm patient. I feel bad for the little old counselo in the group room. She tries. She got so fed up last week with these fools she told them that if you're so unhappy here, go elsewhere. Give your spot to someone who wants it. That shut them up for a minute. It's the same people each week who cause the problems. They actually hired a hall moniter to sit outside the office to make sure people don't sneak out to smoke. I guess the other offices in the building complained about the loitering outside and in the halls. They're afraid they're gonna lose their lease. Instead of people understanding they call the poor girl names and say WTF? How do you expect us to go so long without a smoke or a McDonalds break? It's just unbeleivable. There are some people like me there (and I'm not saying I'm perfect--not by a long shot) that just sit quietly and wait for their names to be called. Ok, I guess I'm done with my ramble. I guess my point was that it seems to me that the clinics are kinda the same--both methadone and suboxone--you got people who relly want help and those who think the red carpet should be rolled out for them even though they just cause trouble and aren't there for he. I swear some of the people go there just to socialize. Buboth suboxone and madone worked for me, but I can afford the suboxone.