We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Switching To Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm 

Out of complete curiosity, has anyone else transferred from methadone to suboxone? What was you're experience? How has it helped/hindered your recovery? Do you find it more convenient or do you prefer the more personal aspect that methadone treatment provides?

Post subject: Re: Switching To Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:50 pm 
Oooooh this is a good question! I was on one of the other forums just earlier today (I think it was the Methadone & Bupe forums at SoberRecovery) and there were folks talking about this.... And I just so happened to mention WSMB, so we might have a few join us! This is a great question, though @rikaros. I'll be interested to read some of the replies (since I can't offer insight myself since I am a methadone man!) :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:09 pm 

Apparently there is no one here...I think I hear the wind blowing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:23 pm 
Oh, good! I thought that I was hearing things! Glad it's not just me! :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:40 am 
This is still a brand new "baby forum" too, though, and there hasn't been much along the lines of promotion and announcing that the Buprenorphine Forum is here. I'm going to try to remember to share the link to the Buprenorphine Forum in some MAT and/or Buprenorphine/Suboxone-specific groups that I am a member of on Facebook & LinkedIn as well... Hopefully if two or three buprenorphine patients will start posting a few times a week then it will catch on... The first few are the hardest because once there's some activity folks will jump in.. But if folks visit the forum and it looks dead then they'll just keep on moving! So if we can get a good 2 or 3 buprenorphine patients to hang around then I am fairly confident others will start filing in. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:58 pm 

I'm here at least once a day, so I'm available for any buprenorphine related questions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 am 

Hello. I just made the switch. It was a forced switch but I made it. Due to financial reasons, my husband and me couldn't afford the $95/weekly fee for each of us. With gas, etc... It was approx $800/month. So, being the addicts we are, we decided we would detox from methadone with heroin until the methadone was out of our systems then switch to suboxone. Stupid stupid stupid! Did I mention that was stupid? So we couldn't afford the $190/week, so we went to a $120/day heroin habit. We justified it by saying it was just a temp fix. We had our last dose, both at 45mgs on sept. 9th. Our plan was to do just enough to maintain and not be sick. That didn't work out so good. We went like that for a little over a month then I had enough!!! I had a lil trouble at first finding a doc but finally found one who took our insurance. We just gotta pay a $20 copay and $20 copay for the script I did 5 bags of heroin at 8pm the night before my appt. the doc told me to wait until at least 4pm to take my first suboxone. I was so afraid of the PAWS!!! I took one 8mg strip and waited. After about 20 mins I could feel something but didn't know what I was feeling. My husband had yet to make his appt so he was sick and instead of taking one if my subs, he said he wanted to sell some to get bags. I was so conflicted. I gave in. As we were sitting in the truck waiting to hook up, I clearly remember saying, "hey , I feel pretty good!" It was too late. The deal was done. I was pissed. I badgered him to make an appt cuz I told him I can not go on like this. Trying to take subs right, having bags in my face. I was so messed up. He went and sold some of his and did the same thing. I finally put an end to it and said you must give the subs an honest try. They work. I had my last appt on Wednesday and his was Thursday night and neither sold any and we are now taking as prescribed - 8mg strip/2x's per day. They are working well. We were on methadone for 4 or 5 years and we were just so used to methadone that we didn't give suboxone a fair shake at the start. I don't have as much energy as I did on methadone but I suspect it's from the rocky start. I feel good. Once I get my butt up and moving, I'm good to go. Also, I was off work for 3 months and got called back 2 days after my first sub appt. That didn't help. I was so afraid of being sick or the subs not working that I went along with my husband and did what we did. Had I followed instructions from my first appt, I believe I would've been just fine. I just want my life back and feel I'm gonna get it now. Hope this post helped. Our switch was a little unconventional but it did work in the end. I was so afraid of methadone still being in my system and going into PAWS. That's why we did the month long heroin run. I wish I could take that back! My gas just got shut off. My kids would b nice and warm if we did it the right way. Stupid stupid stupi. I always learn the hard way !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:56 am 

You know what's crazy? My first appt, I was so shocked to see many of the same faces from my first methadone clinic. What completely threw me off were the same behaviors. I've never messed with benzos. Thank god. I like to be up. Not in a coma. Well, they were all there. Everywhere around the block in downtown near the building the sub clinic is in. Selling benzos. What really got me was all the suboxone wrappers on the ground. They were EVERYWHERE! I couldn't believe my eyes! Then at my last appt, there were no doctors. There are 2 doctors. One drives the other one. One got real sick and is in the ICU, so the 2nd doctor couldn't get a ride. Total chaos. Ppl started fighting over who's turn it was. It was ridiculous. I just sat there looking around. Crazy. Two ppl got discharged that day for fighting. I think they were so messed up on benzos they prob won't remember and will show up next week. I just really didn't expect this at a sub doc. I just mind my business. Lol. It was entertaining and broke up the 4 hr wait. I hope my doctor is ok. I only got to meet him 2x but he was real nice. My 2nd appt when he asked how I was and I said I was surprised how good it works once I let it, he said that he wished I could get go tell everyone in the waiting room that. I guess ppl are always trying to get more more more. I just imagined the sub office to be all quiet. It is nothing like I imagined. Oh well, I can get my weekly entertainment.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:00 am 

I hope I didn't offend anyone who takes benzos as prescribed. They are a needed medication but some ppl just should not take them. They think they're invisible?! But what they don't understand is , man, we see you! Lol. I know they're needed but widely abused.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
o... m... G... This is a Suboxone doctor, right? NOT an opioid treatment program (clinic)? That's not something I would imagine. That sounds crazier than the CRAZIEST methadone clinic!! I've had experiences (I'm a methadone patient, but I've visited DATA 2000 Suboxone doctors around here) in Suboxone docs where it's been NOTHING like that. I guess it just goes to show that there are methadone clinics that are run poorly and Suboxone doctors that are run poorly as well... That has more to do with the administration at the clinic than anything else... My methadone clinic is just like any other doctors office... You'd NEVER see that stuff going on! Yikes. I guess it has less to do with the medicine being offered than it does the folks running the place and what they will/won't allow and what they will/won't put up with!! That's the type of set up that perpetuates the stigma that MAT is just "legal drug dealing." UGH.