We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hey Buprenorphine Patients, WE'RE CALLING YOU!! :-)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 am 
CALLING ALL BUPRENORPHINE PATIENTS!!!!

I know sometimes buprenorphine patients don't always realize that so many resources are for THEM as well because so many things still have "methadone" in the name or the web address, etc.... That is because methadone was the ONLY maintenance medication for opioid dependence for decades, including the time when many of our organizations were founded... But pretty much ANYWHERE you see "methadone" or "methadone maintenance treatment" we are ALSO referring to YOU FOLKS and "medication assisted treatment" as a WHOLE!

So HEY BUPRENORPHINE PATIENTS, come on in!! We're hoping that some of you will REALLY take a hold of this forum... It is for you, after all!! (and I'm hoping to learn a lot more too!)

I have spoken to one patient from Indiana who is a buprenorphine patient and now running a MATS ("medication assisted treatment support") group at her clinic.... (Which is a MA group but the name as been updated to be inclusive of all medications...)... I'm going to get the meeting she chairs list on the MA directory, and I've also put a "plug" in for her to come and post & maybe help us get this forum moving too! :-)

I hope everyone's having a super duper weekend!

Because treatment works,
Zac Talbott

Post subject: Re: Hey Buprenorphine Patients, WE'RE CALLING YOU!! :-)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm 

Hi its been a long time since I've visited this site ...my life has changed drastically since I've last spoke to any of you who remember me. I was at first diagnosed with HepC while I was using the suboxone to get my life straightened out .,..and then came a big blow I got diagnosed with Lung Cancer but they said I was lucky it was operable well (something I always said when I was younger was if I ever get cancer I will not let them cut me open) I wish I had remembered that but that all went out the window when they made it sound like this is great news that you can get operated on. Long story short they took the bottom of my right lung and within months it had spread to 6 other places. I was told I had a couple months to live and spent xmas of 2011 hysterically trying to spend as much time as possible with my girls and my family. Well they put me on a trial drug I had to have several surgeries in these last few yrs for lumps that became big and very painful but now this trial medication I started back then is now working its shrinking my cancer ...I swear my prayers to God ..its a miracle that I am still here especially because I can't quit smoking (what an idiot I know) but thats why I don't really stop by anymore as I am on a lot of medications ...No suboxone..actually pain medication. I just don't want to talk about that to people who are trying to stay away from it. Some of you I do talk to on fb, and others I do remember and thank you all for all your support over the years. I pray you are all doing well and are in good health as it sucks to lose your health. Take Care!!! dd ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:33 am 
Wow @dd... I just HATE to hear all that you've gone through and are going through! Come 'round more often - lean on us! It's very understandable given your situation that you are on stronger, short-acting pain medications. The main thing about "recovery" (imho) is that it is free of illicit opioid misuse/abuse - If you are taking your pain medicine the right way for the right reasons you are STILL in just as much of a state of medication assisted recovery as any of the rest of us that are on methadone or buprenorphine maintenance! So don't be afraid to talk about your medication, etc. because what matters is that you're using them for a medically necessary reason licitly! I'm surprised that you haven't been given - or at least talked to about - methadone for your long acting pain medicine. Methadone is one of the best analgesics in existence... The problem - in terms of pain management - is that the vast majority of methadone patients that receive it for addiction maintenance treatment are given a single daily dose. While that can be just as effective in terms of suppressing physical withdrawals and cravings in most patients as a split dose, the analgesic/pain-relieving effects of methadone only last 3-4, maybe 5, hours in most patients, so a single daily dose every 24 hours is not going to be effective for the management of chronic pain for 19 or 20 hours of the day... So splitting the daily methadone dosage 3 to 4 times and spreading it out is almost a must to get the optimal pain killing effects from methadone... Has your oncologist or pain management physician ever talked to you about methadone? Just curious....

But anyway - WELCOME BACK to the forums, and I hope you'll come back around more often on a regular basis. In the meantime I'm sending warm healing energy your way from the mountains of Eastern Tennessee......

Regards,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:14 am 

What Part Of Indiana Is That Ma Group Held In Zac?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 pm 
Hey @felicia!!! WELCOME TO WSM&B!!! Sooo glad that you're here, and I'm especially glad that we've got another buprenorphine patient coming around... This forum is a baby, we just added it a month or two back, so it's still getting off the ground. Hopefully it will evolve into something really awesome for our MAT patients that utilize buprenorphine for their treatment! @rikaros is also a buprenorphine patient and has been posting some as well.

The MA/MATS groups I was referring to is held in Evansville, Indiana at CRC Health Group's Evansville Treatment Center... How far is that from you? If I am remembering correctly I'm thinking it's quite a ways from you? But if it is within a reasonable traveling distance you should check it out! The Chairperson of the group is a patient of Evansville Treatment Center (though that treatment center just "hosts" it and gives them the place/building/room at which to meet - it's for all MAT patients that can or want to attend, not just patients of ETC), and she is also a buprenorphine (Subutex) patient. It would be a great group if it's possible! But IF NOT - perhaps we could see about getting one up and running in YOUR neck of the woods? We could even talk to your treatment center about it and see if they'd let you hang flyers, etc. to promote it? Just something to think about/consider!
8-)

Come around often @felicia!! I think if we get 2 or 3 buprenorphine patients that will start posting and/or commenting here in the Buprenorphine forum from time to time then others will come as well... It's those first few that are the hardest to get because when/if buprenorphine patients come by to check it out & it's dead and doesn't look like anyone's posting or commenting with any regularity then many (probably most) will just pass on by... So if we can get 2 or 3 buprenorphine patients starting to post at least a few times a week (though daily would be AWESOME!) - plus I'll chime in because you know I have something to say about everything, lol, and I also want to learn more and understand buprenorphine patient experiences better as well since all my personal experience and the VAST majority of my advocacy experience has been with methadone.

See ya soon, and if you think of something that might make for a good discussion here in the Buprenorphine Forum, then start a thread! :-) Or if you run across an article or link - or even if you just overhear or observe something at your treatment center... or have a personal experience as a bupe patient... WHATEVER it is, please let loose and let's discuss!! :D

xo