We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Education Series
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Index

Number 1 Methadone Maintenance and Patient Self Advocacy

Number 2 Drug Policy in the Age of AIDS: The Philosophy of Harm Reduction

Number 3 Myths About Methadone

Number 4 Methadone, HIV Infection and Immune Function

Number 5.1 Basic Pharmacology: Introduction

Number 5.2 Basic Pharmacology: The Pharmacology of Opioids

Number 5.3 Basic Pharmacology: Drugs and Conditions That Impact On the Action of Methadone

Number 6 (Dated out of print)

Number 7 Managed Care Resource Guide (Dated)

Number 8 Methadone Does Not Work Bibliography

Number 9 Pain Management and the Methadone Maintained Patient With supplement Dear Doctor Letter

Number 10 New Federal Regulations

Number 11 Making Methadone Safe

Post subject: Re: Education Series
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:14 pm 
How I JUST now notice these links were posted in the forum? I was actually coming to the NAMA-R Publications forum (this one) specifically to post THESE links! And they're already here! Been here since April! Lord... guess I need to see what other goodies are in the forum I didn't realize were here!!!

These are GREAT resources, and I remember my program sending me to methadone.org way back when I first started treatment there (which was actually the first time I heard about methadone.org and subsequently learned about NAMA) and telling me to read & print out one of the Education Series & they let that count for one of the 4 induction groups my program requires (or at least they required at that time).... 8-) Kudos to Private Clinic North in Rossville, Georgia!!! (www.PrivateClinicNorth.com)

I hope everyone will take the time to read through these & REALLY understand them... especially Rokki's favorite, #8! :lol:

Because treatment works,
Zac T.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm 

The Board was supposed to update the Series,which No one has done cept Joyce and she isn't even on the Board. I know Claude was going to do one on Grievances and how to file them. The Pregnant one needs to be updated......There were some others,but I am not remembering right now......My Fav is the "Complete Bibliography on How Methadone Does Not Work" ;)

Peace Out

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:47 pm 
That's the one I was referring to when I mentioned "Rokki's favorite, #8!!" I remember the first time I saw that one I was thinking "WTF could THIS be?" Then I clicked on it & laughed, laughed, laughed!! It's Grrrreat! :-)

I hope that the folks who were going to update some of them WILL actually do that soon - that would be a great thing. Something I'd certainly think should be prioritized? That's just me, though, and you know how some folks thing I'm TOO ambitious and TOO passionate (didn't know that was a bad thing until recently).... ;)

zt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:34 pm 

They are just mad just your making them look bad with making them read...OMG How could You???....New Articles and drawing the Chapters out. The only ones that are active beside's yourself is Claude,Mo from AZ,Carmen,Carlos in FL,Our Nan of course...But ya don't hear anything about all these supposed Chapters....back in the day when I was doing Nan's job,it's always been like pulling teeth to get Chapters to check in. When someone asks Joyce or anyone "What does NAMA-Recovery do" What do we tell them? When Joe tries to get updates so he can put together a Newsletter,which we should have at least 4 a year....same again..pulling teeth to get Chapters to step up and let folks know what we are doing.....So,if any Chapters are reading this...Poop or get off the shitter....How do you like me now? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know I have made a few mistakes along the way,but I learned from them and move on. I am proud of the small advances I helped to make here in Ca while I was on the Advisory Comm. I enjoyed my time there and I miss being in the thick of things. I don't feel like I do anything anymore cept oversee a bunch of un-ruly kids 4 x's a year and still we get nothing done.

Peace Out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:49 am 
Rokki, Rokki, Rokki.... You've paid your dues, dear lady, and you most CERTAINLY ARE doing things. You've transitioned into a different phase. I don't know many folks at the top of national organizations that ARE in the "thick of things." But what you DO is mentor advocates like me who ARE on the front lines. You've always answered my calls, returned my emails.... As has Nan and Joyce.

NAMA Recovery very much IS doing things.... In JUST the TN chapter, check this:
-We've influenced the largest chain in the country (CRC) to STOP "feetoxes" and implement payment arrangements that the PATIENTS can afford...
-We've brought national attention to a Judge in NC who was threatening MAT patients with incarceration and have begun a national dialogue with that same Superior Court Judge, now involving AATOD and the American Association of Probation & Parole... and the American Assoc. of Drug Courts!
-We're actively involved in Recovery Month activities this next month (September) at a few TN/NW GA OTP's, IN PERSON! :-)
-We've had Letters to the Editor published that have drawn statewide (and some national) response & helped frame the dialogue.
-We're currently working to STOP a state official who is NOT a physician from being able to deny patients adequate doses who are courtesy/guest medicating from other states (patients on doses greater than 120mg's after routinely been told "You can have 120, but that's it!"), and we're shining a light onto that by informing CSAT what's going on
-We've gotten the attention of the TN Governor & came reeeaaaaaally close to getting a meeting with him - and we might still yet.
-We've gotten two hospitals in the Knoxville area to start referring patients who present with opioid overdose to MAT!
-We've started a Patient Advisory Committee at one of our OTPs

.......... And I KNOW I didn't list everything on that list! That's ONE CHAPTER since MARCH baby! NAMA Recovery VERY MUCH is "doing things!" ;-) And YOU have been an adviser, consultant & guide throughout it all @Prez.

Because treatment works,
Zac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 pm 

Like our slogan says "Together We CAN make a Change,Together We CAN Make a Difference" And we have. From the time way back when when Joyce and some Others got together and formed NAMA only to expect it to be a City thing. Look at Us Now. I have quite a list of things I started or finished,letters written,times in the News Papers,folks doing their presentation's on me,working on the Advisory Comm here in CA,starting the 1st HCV Task Force here in SC....meetings..meetings..meetings....as my health started to decline I had to stop and step back from so much and let someone else take over...Doing IN-services at other Programs in the area,which went very well,full room both times..;)
I guess I am just getting tired. It's frustrating when your body will not do what it used too. I don't feel like I do anything,yet I never turn a patient away who calls or writes or I bump into at stores. I can't get around,which is prolly the most frustrating. I've been needing to get to the skin Dr for over 3 weeks now and my Care giver had her house tented this week so it's been crazy for her. She has a Dog and a Cat and they all had to be out of the her place while it was being done. Her dog is very sketchi so she got Thunder Shirts for both of them and travel bowls and a carrier for her cat. On Monday I knew she was having a hard time and one of her other cases had a death in the family so I told her not to come and I would see her on Thursday...

Well it's Thursday and Guess who else is dropping by my place today???? Give Up??? My Youngest Daughter and her Boys are going camping nearby and will be stopping by Gramma's to make Her Day :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I got up early this am,made coffee,even got in the shower so *I* am clean...LOL...cleaned the Cat Boxes,they are usually done on Monday,but a couple days didn't hurt anything. You wouldn't know I have 2 cats in my house and I'm proud of that...;)
I will take pictures or have my Favorite Son In Law take some pic's and post them over on FB...;)

I do realize that I have made some serious accomplishments in my yrs with Advocacy and I am very proud of those. They don't just hand out those "Lane Awards" to any ole Advocate :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm gonna have a Great Thursday even tho it's been 22 Years since Mark was killed/OD'd.....I can do this....;) xxx

Peace Out

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:58 pm 

this will be good info thanks zac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:55 pm 
bobbiwhite7336 wrote:
this will be good info thanks zac

Don't thank me... Our wonderful Executive Director, Joycelyn Woods, took the time to place all those links via hyperlink here in this forum... Making a list of hyperlinks that each go to different web addresses takes time when you're composing it in HTML - so we're very appreciative that she took the time to make sure all the Education Series are listed and linked to right here in the forum. I'm not sure that many patients realize just how many awesome resources & information are available due to the blood, sweat & tears of NAMA-R advocates and members! 8-) After you get a chance to digest the bulk of Recovery Oriented Methadone Maintenance by William White & Lisa Torres we will likely move on to - and start going through and digesting - the NAMA-R Education Series and Policy Statements while waiting on John Boehner to re-open the government so SAMHSA's clearinghouse/publications department can/will ship your copy of TIP 43! ;)

That pretty much is the general "List of Basic Texts" that I use for the NAMA-R TN state advocate training... We typically start out with different "chunks" of Recovery Oriented Methadone Maintenance because it does an exceptional job of setting the stage and explaining a lot of the history behind MMT and the societal environment and societal attitudes toward addiction in which it emerged, etc. The "recovery" part is less of a focus because sometimes I worry that all this focus on recovery could end up alienating or "leaving behind" the methadone maintained patient who just simply doesn't have recovery as the goal, so I think it's important that we read the 'recovery' aspects with an understanding that recovery is the most common goal for patients - and is certainly something to which it is noble to aspire - but that it is not necessary to receive quality treatment.... Then after Recovery Oriented Methadone Maintenance we go through all but 2 (I think...off the top of my head...) of the NAMA-R Education Series and the majority of the Policy Statements before moving on to the Holy Writ of MAT, the "MAT Bible:" TIP 43. There's one section in TIP 43 we don't usually fool with that has more to do with the administration of clinics and things that aren't a top priority (though they are important issues) for advocates, but we usually do chunk away and go through the vast majority of TIP 43 before moving on to Tennessee state regulations and current common advocacy issues plaguing our state.

So that's the overview! ;-) I don't know WHY I just went into all that, but instead of going back and erasing it I think I'll leave it because it might give other chapters ideas about how they could recruit and train (at the chapter level, that is, of COURSE the MAIN 'training' and certification is the CMA course that is a pre-conference session of each AATOD Conference) more advocates. We've CERTAINLY got a shortage of qualified, COMMITTED advocates here in TN and NW GA!