We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: METHADONE PATIENTS MANIFESTO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 am 
It surprises me just HOW FEW patients (and advocates) are aware of & promote The Methadone Patients Manifesto that was originally drafted & adopted at the first national Harm Reduction Conference in 1996..... Though the new federal regs remedied some of the issues (like blind dosing and dose capping) there are still MANY things we've yet to accomplish.

I hope that advocates and patients will refocus on the Manifesto and really promote it and work towards its goals.

Check it out:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7bluL_ ... sp=sharing

Post subject: Re: METHADONE PATIENTS MANIFESTO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:25 pm 

I was at that Conference,only not with NAMA at that time. I was there with the Santa Cruz County Needle Exchange Program. It was my 1st Conference and my 1st time Presenting and I was HOOKED!!!!!

I welcome all to print out copies of the Manifesto and share them. If you just sit back and be quiet you have no call to bitch about bad treatment...;)

Peace out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 pm 
I totally agree... print it out and put copies at your program... share it wide and far! :-)

zt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:11 pm 

Idk what it is but im dang sure gonna read it! and i may just print it out and pass it along!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:22 am 
Administrator

Hi squbbles, and welcome!! I hope you read the manifesto and found it interesting/useful?

Please email me if you have any issues with the board, be that logging in, spammers, or anything else at all!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 pm 

Thanks for the welcome!!!
That was very interesting!!! And i did print it and im going to show it to my councilor tomorrow.. which he may laugh me out..... because the clinic i attend does almost everything on that manifesto the exact opposite!
But if every clinic treated us good patients like that it would be a dream come true!!! can i ask if any of you know where it came from and when it was wrote?
Im in a fb group with other moms on methadone and im tellin yall its an awesome drama free close knit group! we all live far away from each other but are always close in spirit! just wanted to throw that out there! its just another place to get support....
I like this forum too! got to read on lots of things and still looking for stuff to read.... especially subjects about getting ky medicaid to pay for MMT for all ppl, not just kids and preggo women.....
Thanks again for the welcome!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:12 pm 
Administrator

Hey @squbbles! Like sapphire said, WELCOME!

The manifesto was written back in the mid-1990's by a group of methadone advocates and then was presented at the first ever National Harm Reduction Conference in 1996. While there are many things that still haven't been realized, we have made progress since the manifesto was written... Dose caps and blind dosing are two examples of things the manifesto decried that were going on at the time that we since have gotten rid of with the current federal regulations that went into effect in the early 2000's. But we do have a long way to go!...but I think we're heading in the right direction!

If you're also on Facebook I hope you'll join the group most of us are active in as well, which is the largest and most active (and dare I say most credible?) MAT-specific group on Facebook (and the entire internet)... Check it out as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/methadonetreatment

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:28 pm 

Thank you so much for welcoming me to this forum and for inviting me to the fb group! I'll be looking the group up and can't wait to join!!!!
So I do have a question... Where online can I find the state and federal regulations as far as methadone goes.... The clinic I attend don't have a patient hand book to explain rules... Rules change all the time... I live in one state and attend clinic in another state....
Also have you heard anything about some states medicaid programs getting an "over haul" so to say..... I just hope this is good news for ppl with medicaid like myself!
Thanks again for everything!!! You're awesome!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:56 pm 
Administrator

The Federal Regulations are quite easy to access. Here's a link to the Federal Regulations on NAMA's website: http://www.methadone.org/library/42CFR_part8_code.html. There are also State regulations, and they vary from state to state and aren't always as easy to find. The easiest way to get a copy is to just Email your state's State Methadone Authority (SMA)/State Opioid Treatment Authority (SOTA) and ask him/her to send you a PDF copy of the state rules/regulations governing opioid/narcotic treatment programs. You can find a list of all 50 state SMAs/SOTAs here: http://dpt2.samhsa.gov/regulations/smalist.aspx.

I hope this helps!

Chief Operating Officer | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers
Comprehensive Opioid Treatment Programs
Program Director | Counseling Solutions Treatment Centers - Chatsworth