We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine)

A NAMA Recovery Forum for Medication Assisted Treatment patients, family and advocates. (Issues or Questions about registration and/or the forum? Email zac@tnmethadone.org OR sapphirematthews@gmail.com)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: On Pre-Employment Drug Screens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:02 pm 

Please note this original post was in response to an individual poster who was seeking advice for their husband who was going to have to take a drug screen for a potential employer.

All Information contained within is general and may be applicable in a variety of pre-employment drug screening situations; although it may be addressed specifically to the original poster's question.

______________________________________________________________________________________

This is a legal prescription and therefore protected by law. Unless he is going for a job where they can ban mediciations for sedative affects or whatnot (long distance truck drivers, for example, and many nursing boards are anti-MMT) he should be fine.

Just be sure he brings a take-home bottle with him (with his name on the label) along with a copy of his "prescription" or an order from his clinic Doctor stating that he is legally taking the medication under his care. It doesn't need to state what he is being prescribed it for, just that he is. I also believe that once the results are in they JUST pass on "positive" or "negative" they DO NOT STIPULATE what the person came up negative for.

Is the employer going to be doing the actual drug screen? Usually many employers do not actually do this themselves and part of the reason is to protect themselves from liability. It's much easier for an employee to claim discrimination if the employer themselves are the ones doing the screening.

Typically drug screens work one of two ways - The first way (that seemed to be more common until recently) is when you go to take the drug screen you would bring any medications with you to give to the screener. That way they would cross off anything you come up positive for under that prescription. Usually I would just bring in the bottle of meds with the prescription label on it, but with methadone I usually also have the aforementioned letter. Once they screen it, they will pass on the results to the employer.

The other way I have seen this done is where they do not actually take medications or medication verfiication from you upon check-in. Instead, they give you a form where you have to give your contact information and they tell you to make sure you give them a phone number that they can reach you at. If the test comes back positive for something, they call you and at that point you can fax in the information pertaining to any prescription to validate the positive results. Once validated, you would be considered "negative" and they inform the employer of such.

Anyway, I hope this information was helpful - I'm sure he will be fine. Many screens do show for methadone nowadays but as long as you are taking it through a medical facility he should be okay. Good luck - I hope he gets the job!